Why must she... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Why must she...

Why must Gunny poop in the corner? We have three litter boxes for her. One on the bottom of her cage, one in the middle of her cage, and one where she used to go to the bathroom. Should I just move it to where she is going to the bathroom now? It wouldn't be so bad if she went IN her cage but no she has to go on the CARPET! We have stains everywhere from her little accidents. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (especially by James)

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Part of the Pack

I would move it.

I read somewhere that small house animasl choose where they want to go toilet, not where you want them to go. good luck

12 bunnies Nanna, Frank, Charlie, Meme, Thumper, Brenda, Fuz, Fezza, Snow, Clyde, Storm, Chip.

3 dogs, Zeus, Jazy, E-Wok.

Lots and Lots of fish.

Angel my Daughter.

Lucas My Partner.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Ferrets are normally litter trainable...though some never really do come around. I wouldn't group ferrets into "small animals" as many pet stores do either...they're much more than that and they definitely shouldn't be categorized as such. They are in the family carnivora, with cats, dogs, bears, and other predators. This means they are smart enough to have to catch their prey...and thus are also smart enough to understand they have to be away from their poop and not walk all around in it.

Litter training can be challenging...the best thing to do inside her cage is to place some of her favorite things where you don't want her to poo...that is...in the corners of the cage you want to remain clean. In all other places, put the litter boxes.

The other thing is that the litter boxes may be too small(ferrets love to fit their entire body into the litter boxes...the corner triangular ones just don't work very well)...or the litter box might have too high an opening. I usually cut mine so that the entire opening of the litter box is no higher than a 1/2 inch off the ground so they can easily step in.

Let me go take a picture of a good litter box that my ferrets took to immediately...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Just took the most simple, sturdy cat litter box I could find(walls = 5" high, dimensions = 18" x 15")

Cut the front out

With my trusty Dremel

That's about all...since they can fully fit into it...it's so much more convenient to them and easier to learn where their poo spot is...since its a large area.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Adolescent Pup

The #1 thing I can recommend, which is probably the best thing to do, is to put you ferret in the cage to go poo once an hour while out playing.

I did that with my ferret and it stopped him from pooing everywhere. Eventually they'll catch on and it ought to help with the messes. Of course, we ARE talking about ferrets, sooooo, expect to have to "re-train" them ever so often!LOL! Those little poops have a mind of their own!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Title Thief Victim

My 3 arn't litter trained how sad...lol but were working one it.

Carissasaurus Rex

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

she is litter trained she just doesn't go when she is out playing. She loves her new litter boxes and plays in them (she hasn't pooed in them yet) and she moves the litter everywhere. The litter boxes in her cage are used often but I will try putting her in the cage once and hour and see if that works. Thanks for all your advice!

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Well I wouldn't let your litter boxes outside the cage go to waste...oh well.

My apologies

Last edited by Turkeyman; 02-22-2007 at 12:08 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

yeah, keep them out, just in case
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Where, or Where Could That Fairy Be?

I use to catch Toffee wiggling her butt up into a corner and I would grab her and put her back in the litter box until she went then praise and a sip of ferretone reward. She actually started going back into her cage to use the litter box when she was out. Not 100% of the time, but enough that I was impressed when she did it herself.

I have been sent a Valentine

~Annie~ B.B.- cat, Toffee-ferret and RIP hedgehogs, Prickles, Pepper, Coconut and Nutmeg
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

YEAH!!!!

I'm glad my advice worked! It worked wonders with my ferret, especially considering how darn stubborn they are!

A little bit of consistency goes a long way with a ferret! Congrats and good luck with making it stick and having her 90%(that's as high as it goes for a ferret, LOL!) potty trained!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

she did good last time I let her out...lets hope it sticks.

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Title Thief Victim

yippy! I hope she does it all the time!

Carissasaurus Rex

Tags
litter box, litter boxes, litter train, litter trained, litter training, pet store, pet stores, potty train, potty trained