wondering if one can keep both ferrets and chinchillas in a home - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

wondering if one can keep both ferrets and chinchillas in a home

I am very interested in looking at adopting pairs of Chinchillas and Ferrets for future pets...but I wonder if there is any danger in this and if so what can I do to keep both of the animals safe. Since my mother is far to intimidated by large exotic pets I will not be looking into getting these guys until I move out on my own which should be at least another two years so I plan to make the best of my time and do a lot of studying up on the species.

But this was something I was wondering if I am looking at getting these guys and if ferrets can get along with other animals as well since I might still have my Rabbit and Guinea Pigs by then to...surely the rabbit will still be around since he is only five months old as of right now.

Just anything I need to know to keep all animals happy and safe is basically what I am trying to find out now.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:43 PM

I am no expert but as long as ferrets never get the opportunity to come into contact with the other pets then I don't see why you couldn't keep all the animals in the same home. We have ferrets, gerbils, rats and degu in our house and have not had any trouble. However all the small furries are out of ferret reach. You have to remember that ferrets would hunt rabbits and other small animals if out in the wild so would do the same in your home, given half a chance. The only thing I can think might be a problem is that maybe the smell of ferrets would stress out the other pets? I don't know anything about chinchillas. None of our pets bat an eye at the ferrets now but they are not in close confines, I dunno. Hope that was of some use.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinystar View Post
I am no expert but as long as ferrets never get the opportunity to come into contact with the other pets then I don't see why you couldn't keep all the animals in the same home. We have ferrets, gerbils, rats and degu in our house and have not had any trouble. However all the small furries are out of ferret reach. You have to remember that ferrets would hunt rabbits and other small animals if out in the wild so would do the same in your home, given half a chance. The only thing I can think might be a problem is that maybe the smell of ferrets would stress out the other pets? I don't know anything about chinchillas. None of our pets bat an eye at the ferrets now but they are not in close confines, I dunno. Hope that was of some use.
I do think your right that the scent thing might be one of the bigger issues. Personally for me since I do own quite a few animals I try very hard to wash my hands with soap and water as well antibacteral wash after I handle my animals. So the scents don't stress out certain animals and so it reduces germs getting passed on as well.. I think I was more so thinking of the fact that ferrets seem predatory like cats would. My mother owns a young year old cat at home that frequently comes down stairs to take a peek at the Rabbit and two Guinea Pigs...since she is so young she dosn't really see them as something she can potentially eat but we both know that any time her wild instincts could kick in so we always keep a very close eye on her. I assume with ferrets and chins that the same basic measure will need to be put into place. I think if I put the Chins in my room and let the ferrets be out in the living room...that the stress levels might not be so bad. And maybe if they are introduced early there will be less to worry about.

This is all stuff I need to do more research on lol and thank god, I have tons of time to look at doing it. At least I know I will be the most prepared I can be for when I get the new babies.

Thanks for the opinion on the matter though that was most helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 03:48 PM

I'm glad your'e going to do more research, very sensible. I would imagine that keeping them in seperate rooms is probably a good amount of precaution. The only thing that concerns me is the word 'introduced'. I'm not entirely sure what you mean but all I would say is I would never let our ferrets get anywhere near our other pets, even in their cage. They are quick, clever and have very sharp teeth, I don't think it's worth the risk. Tho if you mean acquire both ferrets and chins at the same time and when both are young so they grow up completely separately but used to the occasional whiff of one another perhaps on your clothes, then yeah, that sounds about the best option.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

oh when I mean intorduce I basically mean if they were to be anywehre near the other animals being seperated by a cage and light sniffing...I guess kind of like what I am letting my cat do right now. I don't really intend to have them out side of their cages if or when they did actually meet cuz just like I said with the cat I know they are predators and no matter how tame a pet can be insticts can at any given time kick in. But as far introductions if that was ever to happen, it would be with one of the two species in a cafe cage protecting them, or for extra precaution having the ferrets in a enclosed playpin which I have plenty of from my house since I use them all the time with my current pets. Yeah I think if both of them just get used to each other scents from a young age they could learn to tolerate each other, I guess just really want everyone to know whom all else is there I am not asking them to get along or be buddy buddy with each other, I just think if everyone had any idea of all the other animals in the house that the stress levels for the more dosile animals like my Guinea Pigs, Rabbit, and possible Chins it would be a healthier environment for them all in the long run.

lol I think more so what I meant when I said introduced was that I know how much energy Ferrets usually require and to say they would never once see the lil chins at all would totally be absurd to think. So letting them look or possibly sniff at them would be perfectly fine...just nothing more and under an extremely watchful eye on my part.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 05:48 PM

*Horrible story* I keep my ferrets and my hamsters (all Syrians all seperate) in a shed in my back garden. One day 'someone' didnt lock the ferrets cage properly when i was in work (no one has owned up..) Obviously the ferrets got out.. but when i came home two of the hamsters cages were on the floor broken, hamsters no where to be seen.. anyway caught all the ferrets and put them back into their cage-door locked!! After a search of the whole shed all we found was some blood. The ferrets had climbed up 3 shelves to the hamsters and pushed the cages off.Killed and ate the two hamsters Im sure that would never happen with your lot but i just wanted to point out how clever and resourseful they can be when they want something. (3 remaining hamsters are safely in the house)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Part of the Pack

I do not feel that the scent thing would be a problem as I have ferrets, dogs, sugar gliders and a bearded dragon all in the same house and none of my pets are disturbed by the other animal....

R h a p s o d y -
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 PM

I have chinchillas and ferrets, my ferrets are in my bedroom and the chins are in the living room and these two creatures shall never meet!! You can have rodents and other caged animals in the same house as the ferrets as long as the ferrets can never have contact to them. If the ferrets get any opportunity to open a cage or get at the animal...nature takes over and chances are the rodents aren't going to survive.

So if you want to just make sure you keep them seperated!

Shannon
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkeeper View Post
I have chinchillas and ferrets, my ferrets are in my bedroom and the chins are in the living room and these two creatures shall never meet!! You can have rodents and other caged animals in the same house as the ferrets as long as the ferrets can never have contact to them. If the ferrets get any opportunity to open a cage or get at the animal...nature takes over and chances are the rodents aren't going to survive.

So if you want to just make sure you keep them seperated!

Shannon

I've been wondering about that. I have 4 ferts and my bf wants a chin.. and I was worried about having them in the same house with my 4 tornadoes. I would be worried they could get the chins cage open, because they can, in fact, get their OWN cage open. So, now, if he still wants one, I'll have to convince him to wait till we get a) a bigger place so they can be properly seperated or 2) he can't have one