Am I all wrong? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Question Am I all wrong?

I'm looking for a long eared hedgehog.
They are not that hard to get... I can just ask big petstores, and they either have them, or can get them home.
I've also talked to people who can get wc animals.

I would prefer a breeder though, so I've been looking around on and off for about a year now I think.
I've been looking in UK, The Netherlands, Sweeden, Norway, Germany and Denmark.
Germany do have some breeders, but they are kinda hard to talk with. I'm really bad at writing german, but can read it... problem is, many german people can't really read english :S

But anyway - then I asked on this danish reptile forum, because I know that many reptile keepers have exotic mammals.
I just have some things I want the breeder to know or do, before I want to buy from them:
1. Males and females can not be kept together permanently
2. I want to know what sub species is being kept.

I don't find this rude... If someone don't like that I want to know this, then they can just pretend I'm not there.

But on this reptile forum, some people got all mad at me, saying I couldn't make demands when they are so hard to find...

So now I'm thinking; am I all wrong?
Isen't it right for me to want some things from my breeder, just like the breeder must want some things from me...

So now I'll se if my bf can get one of his german friends to find a breeder... If he can't, I'll buy from a petstore, where I at least know what sub species the animal is...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

*sighs* That's a tough question, really... A lot of breeders will do what they're used to doing, regardless of what a potential customer may want.

For instance, my mom's friend has a dog. The only way they could get this dog(Golden Retriever) was by promising the breeder they wouldn't get him neutered - because the breeder wanted to use him as a stud dog. Now the dog, who has reached sexual maturity and still isn't neutered, is making their lives a living ****. He mounts everything female - even humans, he won't pay a lick of focus in his obedience classes, and he's just making their lives ****.

..But it was the only way the breeder would let them have him. That breeder wouldn't change his/her mind regardless.

So it's on you. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask around, but do NOT give in to a breeder who tells you that regardless of what you want, everything will be fine. Do NOT give up your determination - I like the way you think on this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

If a breeder feels a specific way it's fine with me.
I will not argue with them, if I don't agree, I'll just find a pet some where else.
The thing that pusels me is that people get all defensive because I have a few things I want from a breeder...

But thx ^^

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Rodentologist

It's your money, and I think you're doing a responsible thing by asking that the breeder that you choose have a reasonable modicum of ethics and morality in regards to the way they treat their animals.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Newborn Pup

If the breeder you are talking to doesn't have ethics in regards to the well being of their animals, then you should not deal with that breeder. I found a breeder in Indiana that treated her african pygmy hedgehogs with the best food, love, and environments you could want for a hedgie. She talked with me about her business, what animals she bred, how her hedgies were raised, and answered all of my questions. My little creature is the crankiest hedgehog in the world, but I knew he would be difficult from his bio on her website. I think it is absolutely reasonable to want certian things from a breeder you are buying an animal from and if you can't do that, then why would you give that person your money? Big pet stores should sell pet products, not animals because they have no concern for the breeding, health, or where the animal comes from as long as they can sell the animal for a profit. This is why puppy mills are still in operation because people buy puppies from big pet stores instead of adopting or buying from a reputable breeder. So keep looking for that breeder that makes you feel good about buying from them! A good breeder will do everything they can to make sure their animals go to safe, loving, well-informed homes.

Tags
hedgehog