Which bedding would you recommend? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Which bedding would you recommend?

My son might be getting a hedgehog this weekend and we have been going through alot of sites to find the best food and bedding for them, But we are getting conflicting information.

Which bedding do you use?

How about food? The lady said to use
Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul Lite.

She said to give them a small piece of apple and 2 mealies a day.

Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 01:51 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

I would recommend CellSorb. It's the best IMO. You may have to order it online but it's worth it.

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul Lite is an awesome food. You can mix it with hedgie food too. I would do 1/3 hedgie food and 2/3 chicken soup food.

I wouldn't feed 2 mealies a day though. That's too many. I would feed 3-4 large mealies a week and the same with crickets. (Alot of hedgies love the freeze dried crickets) Apples don't have a ton of nutrition but they do seem to be loved by a lot of hedgies. I give Louie an apple piece 2-3 times a week. He also gets some baby foods and cooked chicken. He LOVES cooked chicken.

Hedgies have a tendancy to become obese so make sure he/she has a hedgie safe wheel (not a hamster one - a solid one so their little feeties don't get caught)

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I mix CellSorb plus in with my aspen in the 'pee corners' for the chins and get it at PetsMart, Marie.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for the info

Jodi, what kinds of baby foods? Should it be the stage 1,2 or 3 jars? We have lots of baby food here from the twins.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 03:15 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

I use 2 Vellux liners and they use a cookie pan lined with kitchen paper to go to the loo. I change the kitchen paper daily.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 06:26 PM
I live in a Pigdom

I use liners (corduroy with polar fleece sewn inside) and they use a cookie sheet and their wheels (ugh) to go potty.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Newborn Pup

I use Carefresh because thats about all I can use with my asthma. I wrote an article on the different types of bedding if you are interested in looking at it. From personal uses, Pine worked the best and it was the most cost effective. Carefresh is very expensive and doesn't smell that well shortly after your hedgehogs have gone to the bathroom a few times.

For food Chicken Soup For The Cat Lovers Soul Light is great! I use that in my mix mainly along with Royal Canin Slim 38. Those are the two big parts of the mix along with some other foods that I can get from time to time. If you check out PogStar Hedgehog's food review, it helps out wonderfully. They have different foods and they vate it with one hedgie being the worst and five hedgies being the best. Scroll down to the very bottom of the page to click on the different hedgie scores with the different foods.

Lauren

USDA # 14-A-0021

Mom To The Herd:
Carabella: Silver Charcoal White
Lilly: Grey
Rosie: Ruby Eyed Cinnacot Pinto
Winston: Algerian Chocolate/Brown
Harrington: Pale Apricot Snowflake
Ali: Algerian Apricot Pinto
Rocky: Algerian Brown
Jamison: Silver Charcoal High White
Two week old ....coming soon
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

I think we will be using the cellsorb plus.

The lady said she keeps them in aquariums and from what we have read its not a good idea. What kind of cages do you like. He looked at Martins and doesnt like them either.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 09:33 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

We have a clear sterilite tub. Works really well and it was only about $10-15 too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Formerly Known as oreos_my_hedgie

I use carefresh bedding , and it works fine, but its a little dusty. I feed him Premium L'avian plus hedgehog food, (which is just what is availible at my local pet store.) He seems to like it just fine, and i also give him a meal worm as a treat. He'll take a bite or two of apple every once in a while. he also likes a tiny tid bit of cooked lean ground beef.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hedgie food.jpg (19.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by oreos_my_hedgie; 12-07-2004 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typos
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

We have decided that vellux liners work better as is way cheaper as they can be changed daily and washed (we have 4 for each of the 4 cages - yes Jodi we now have 4 hedgies)

Tags
carefresh bedding, chicken soup, local pet store, pet store, royal canin