Big enough cage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Big enough cage?

I dont have a hedgehog yet but I was planning on houseing the one I eventually get in this cage I've had for quite some time. I'm questioning its size. My cage is a wire cage about 14" wide and 30" long, it has 3, 10" tall floors and the ramps are roughly 6" wide. Is this a hedgie habitable cage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:35 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

It might be a bit small and you have to be careful with some of the wire cages (their legs & feet can get caught). IMO, a hedgie cage should have at least 12-18 inch walls (hedgies can climb).

I would recommend 2 Sterlite containers (most people use these) that you can connect with a PVC tube. Try to stay away from glass aquariums unless you're going to go with a big 55 gallon or bigger one. They need to have a lot of ventilation. The bigger the containers the better.

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Formerly Known as oreos_my_hedgie

Definately no aquariums. They have bad ventilation, and are not very safe. I have oreo in an about 20x24 inch rabbit cage with two stories. Oreo has never attempted to climb though. I think it's definately large enough. Is it like a ferret cage? The only problem i see is climbng, but I don't know if your hedgie will climb or not. Sterilite containers sound good. You could try the cage you have when you are watching him, and if it ever attempts to climb, you could swich to something else. Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 08:26 PM

the bigger the cage the better, the cages I have mine in are 39" long by 19" deep and about 24" tall and that is a good size for them
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Newborn Pup

Bare mini. should be 2 square feet but the more room you can give them the better. Sterlite bins work really well Cheap, easy to work with

Double S Hedgehogs:

PWF:

Tags
rabbit cage, wire cage, wire cages