Breaking the nocturnal habit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Breaking the nocturnal habit

I was wondering how I can break my hedgehog's nocturnal habit and how to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 07:49 PM

IMO it is a very cruel thing to try and change a hedgehog's natural circadian rhythm. Trying to alter their usual hours will weaken their immune system and is very stressful.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

it should not be done....it is a nocturnal animal..you should of already known this prior to getting it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

ok

ok I was just asking. I am NOT going to break his nocturnal habit, I just heard ppl talkin about it and thought I would ask. I will never even think about it again. So dont worry, I would NEVER put Bruno through that. I want him to live healthy and happy. Thanks for letting me know.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 05:37 PM

i have a hedgehog book and it said it will take time to change their nocturnal habits. so there for it wouldnt cause the animal to be stressful. you just need to know how to do it properly. To change their nocturnal habit you should feed them at a later time each night over a period of several days or have them out during the daytime. when you are ready to go to sleep the hedgehog would be tired from being active during the day. I got my book from feeders supply and i did research on the internet.

Last edited by Twilightlover14; 03-15-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: i want to delete this message
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Breaking the nocturnal habits of hedgehogs

i have a hedgehog book and it said it will take time to change their nocturnal habits. so there for it wouldnt cause the animal to be stressful. you just need to know how to do it properly. To change their nocturnal habit you should feed them at a later time each night over a period of several days and/or have them out during the daytime. when you are ready to go to sleep the hedgehog would be tired from being active during the day. I got my book from feeders supply and i did research on the internet.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:44 PM

Most animals are nocturnal by nature and do fine being awake during certain periods of the day.
An easy way to get them to wake up during the day is to find a specific time to give them treatsies like mealworms or crickets by hand. Like when you get home from school, wake him up with a mealworm in the face, they love it. Soon they will naturally wake up during that time during the day, expecting yummies.
I would not recommend keeping him awake all day though. Expected spurts are just fine for them though.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 04:57 PM

Would you like some one to make you nocturnal?
force you to stay awake during the night then made to sleep during the day it sounds a bit cruel.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:18 AM

Try reading my entire post before you get wordy with me.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover View Post
Try reading my entire post before you get wordy with me.
hehehe.
What does wordy mean?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreengardian View Post
force you to stay awake during the night then made to sleep during the day it sounds a bit cruel.
Pfft. You should tell my old boss that, maybe I wouldn't have had to do the night shift. haha.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreengardian View Post
wowwww!!!!!! ur pretty rude, you have an account in the petfinder forums dont you? seems to me thats where all the rude ones originate

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i really don't think she was being that rude. Simply pointing out something that a person wants to do to an animal as if someone wanted to do it to them.

just giving advice or their opinion isn't rude. that is how forums work...

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

its not like the person said they were going to sit there all day and poke the thing with a pencil every time it nodded off, just seemed to have a general question. and everyone jumps to the conclusion that the little critters going to be tortured

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Ron Jeremy is still nocturnal. But it kinda works with my bf and I's schedule. We work at night until 9pm and we dnt go to bed until like 2 or 3am. But when we're ready to lay down or whatever like watch tv we turn the light off and he comes out so we can watch him while we're laying down. And when I have to get up for work at 7am he's still runnin around. At least til i leave then he goes to bed. I like his nocturnalness. We do wake him up for a little bit during the day.

Tags
hedgehog