Do hedgehogs like friends? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Question Do hedgehogs like friends?

I have heard thatr hedgehogs hate other hedgehogs. Even so that when they are bred what you do is stick the male in for about 10 days then take him out...I am not intending on breeding, just saying what i heard. I have heard of "hedgie PAIRS for sale, and also have seen 2 hedgehogs in the same cage at a "Fall Festival" sleeping next to each other in the bedding. If hedgehogs do like other hedgies then i would like to get Phillis a female friend to play with, and enjoy time with. i just want to make sure before i were to get another hedgie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I have 2 females (same father different mother) they are 2 months difference in their ages and they don't get along.I have them in seperate cages.
I have read the same thing on putting the male in for a few days.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 10:02 PM

2 same sex siblings may do well together. Our two were caged together when we brought them home but were seperated shortly afterwards Ebony was biting Ivory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

My hedgie is about 9 months old I am thinking and hasn't been with any other hedgies since she was 1 1/2 months old...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 07:36 AM

I wouldn't put another hedgie in with your hedgie now. They can get along, but they can also fight horribly. Two males can fight to the death. And since you won't be able to keep your eye on them all the time, it's not worth the risk.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 07:36 AM

A person I know has 2 hedgies of the same sex (females) and one kept biting the other. She finally seperated them when one of them got a broken leg at the others expense, or should I say her expense.

I personally wouldn't try introducing another hedgie now. Just my popinion though.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

I won't try then. Thanks for the advice. She would also be older when they got put together because I wouldn't want to introduce them when the one was so small and just a baby...I might end up getting another hedgie or two, but not put them together...Do males and females fight or will they go together just fine? (Just curious as I know you need to have a license and everything to breed hedgies...) I love learning about animals!!

Tags
broken leg, seperate cages