Ear Mites - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Ear Mites

I think my hedgehog has ear mite but I am not sure how she would have gotten them as she hasnt been outside yet. Her ears look sort of chewed on. I am planning on taking her to the vet to get it checked out, but I thought I would try and get an idea of what it was before going in to the vet. What kind of treatment would they give her for ear mites, I read that symptoms could be her tilting her head to one side, which she isnt doing, her ears have looked a little dry and rigid from the day she came home.. any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 AM
she-mayor of Whoville

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
I think my hedgehog has ear mite but I am not sure how she would have gotten them as she hasnt been outside yet. Her ears look sort of chewed on. I am planning on taking her to the vet to get it checked out, but I thought I would try and get an idea of what it was before going in to the vet. What kind of treatment would they give her for ear mites, I read that symptoms could be her tilting her head to one side, which she isnt doing, her ears have looked a little dry and rigid from the day she came home.. any help would be appreciated.
Do you by chance bathe her? I bathe my hedgehog with oatmeal baths like Aveeno for babies, which both moisturize their skin and rid their skin/quills/fur of any bugs or mites.

If you don't bathe her, do consider it, it really helps their health. Good luck!

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Many young hedgies come from the breeder or pet shop and already have tiny skin mites on their ears. Years ago we treated this with a tiny drop of Ivermectin, but it is best to check with your vet for a proper diagnosis.
Is the animal on dust-free and very clean bedding?
good luck !

Please have pets spayed or neutered and wearing an ID tag.
Adoption is the only option