Feeding. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Feeding.

For months now I have been feeding my hedgehog Ron Jeremy a small handful of food. I keep food in his bowl so whenever he's hungry he has it. Should I feed my hedgehog at a certain time each day? Once a day or more? Is there a certain portion I should be feeding him? These are vital questions, I know. Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

someone answer please!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am not sure about hedgies, but i will it for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Newborn Pup

Well, i use to feed my hedgie only a small handful each day because when he was younger, he started getting too fat so I put him on a diet. Now, I just keep his food bowl about half full and he will eat what he needs and not more (not like a gold fish that will eat and eat until it explodes).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah. I keep a small handful of food in his bowl. I don't usually put food in his bowl until nighttime. He sleeps during the day anyway && I put enough food in his bowl to last him through the night. Ususally the next day I throw away what's left in his bowl and replace with fresh food. I've also been feeding him a few pieces of dried cranberries and rasins (are there fruits okay? He seems to love them:])
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I know most "well-informed" sites catered towards various domesticated pets will give you an amount that each species should be given to eat in a 24 hour period. But the general consensus is, I think, to feed an amount that they will consume within a 24 hour period, but not more than that.

Really, it varies from person to person. Some people aren't comfortable with their pet not constantly having food available, and others are entirely comfortable with giving only a limited amount.

Honestly, how much you feed him, is entirely up to you. Is he doing well on what you're feeding him? Good weight? Healthy and happy to the naked eye? Then I really wouldn't worry.

The food put down I think correlates with not only the owner, but their pet, as well. For instance, my cat will eat when she's bored, and depressed, so her food is taken away before we go to bed and therefore not around to give her attention. While my rabbit, on the other hand, only eats her pellets if all her roughage material is gone.

You know your hedgehog best. You have a one-on-one relationship with him, that no one here, not even other hedgehog owners can best. If he's doing well on the schedule you have set up, I'd say stick with it.

Tags
feeding, food