Getting a Hedgie! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Getting a Hedgie!

Okay, Marie talked me into it I'm getting a hedgie from her and so is Corine! Neither of us have ever had a hedgie before and we are both really excited. What we need to know is some basic ins and outs of hedgie ownership. What kind of cages do you all use or have made (including pics) What foods you provide, toys, enrichment, bedding, bathing, and of course, the best ways to handle them without getting poked!

Corine will be keeping hers in the computer room away from Messiah (Orion's brother) and Cheyenne (she's at that age where she's into everything) and it seems to be the warmest room in the house. Nice and quiet during the day and where she spends her evenings.

At first I was thinking of keeping mine in the chin room, but after much researching, I know now it'll be too cold for him in there. So, chances are he'll be in the living room near the bunnies. It's quiet during the day too, so he'll be able to get his sleep and it's nice and warm both summer and winter.

Okay, so let me have it! Give me your suggestions and advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 05:14 PM

I keep my hedgies in simple cages with plastic bottoms and wire tops; one level; in a room that stays 75-80 degrees. These cages are very easy to clean and there is no danger of falling if they do move around. They have shirts and igloos to snuggle inside, food bowls, and a wheel which is only placed in the cage at night. For bedding I use Carefresh.

For playtime they have the run of a large wire playpen (purchased at Wal-Mart) with many toys inside (paper tubes, wood toys, stuffed balls, etc.)

As a staple food, I mix a soft insectivore diet, Pretty Pets hedgehog food, and a pinch of ultra-blend fruit and veggie mix. I also provide a variety of cooked meats, fruits, and vegetables on occasion. A couple of times a week I will also give either mealworms or canned crickets as a treat.

I used a T-shirt to pick up my hedgies when I first got them. Now I just slide my hands underneath their bellies, make sure their feet are firmly on my hands, and draw them close to me.

I clean poopy feet as needed I just let them run over a very wet washcloth and this does a great job.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

You're WHAT?? You're worse then me, lol! What brought this on?

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Hedgie babies needing homes...what else?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 07:59 PM

try www.chins-n-quills.com there are lots of helpfull people there!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules_77
try www.chins-n-quills.com there are lots of helpfull people there!
Thanks but I know that forum and am not impressed
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 08:23 PM

I use a food mixture:
Blue Buffalo Adult Lite
Maxx Catt Roasted Chicken Flavor
Purina Indoor Formula
and 8in1 Hedgehog Food

For treats we offer:
Salmon, Albacore Tuna in Spring Water, chicken, turkey and veal baby food, when we have chicken I boil a piece and cut it up for the hedgies. They love peaches, apples, sweet potatoes, grapes, bananas. My sister in laws hedgies love boiled egg (only the white)

We alternate the bedding between vellux liners and aspen shavings.

For cages we have the medium guinea pig cage made by superpet, we got them at petsmart for around $35.00. They have a igloo and hedgie bags (you can make these)
we bought the little cat balls with bells inside they love to push them around.

A wheel is a MUST...

Bath time we use baby wash baby bath and dry then wrap in a warm towel. I give baths as needed not on a weekly basis.

Poop boots: when the hedgies have poop boots we take a shallow lid (old one that is not used anymore) put warm water in it and let them walk around for a few minutes then clean it off.

We take the hedgies out in the evening and let them run around on our bed, (my SIL bought a small plastic pool that she uses for play time) we usually let them play for about 30 minutes or so.

*edited to add* I forgot to mention they love the Gerber Meat Sticks
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I have a plastic container that I keep mine in.It has the wheels on it and runs around $10.00 at Wal-mart.I was going to get a cage but my sister had 2 she wasn't using so she gave them to me.The walls are high enough and straight to where she can't get out.

I use the kiln dried pine.

I mix the purina indoor formula and the cat lover's soul food for her.I also give her a mealie every couple of days.Along with Albacore Tuna in Spring Water, chicken, turkey and veal baby food.She also loves bananas,apples,grapes and carrots.

My girl has a fleece cover that she gets under and that is what I picked her up with when I first got her.

I use Johnsons baby shampoo for her and dry her off and pupt her in a towel.I use a toothbrush for washing her quills.She does love the water.
I haven't tried the meat sticks but will get some for her.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
Hedgie babies needing homes...what else?
Ok no more making fun of me!!!!

Congrats and I can't wait to see pics!!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats! I can't wait for pics!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice everyone!! I'm so excited about the hedgie!! My 7 year old looked at the pics of the hedgie babies and said they looked "dangerous" because of the quills
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:33 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Mandie!!!! But you know hun, you should have two....cause it's all got to be even you know!!! Pictures are a must!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:39 AM

Congrates on the Hedgie Baby !!!! Maria's hold ours until Kimmers gets back to the states..I cant wait until we met her I'm sooo gealous I want my hedge baby now
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 04:26 AM

w/out all the typo's
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 06:36 AM

ok, about the wheel, THEY HAVE TO BE SOLID. if not, little hedgie feet may get stuck in bars and hurt themselves. i use chicken soup for the cat lovers soul mixed with nutrience for my hedgie girl. her cage is plastic bottom with wire top. you could also make your own c&c cage. there are pics of em here http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums...1&page=1&pp=15
http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums...ght=c%26c+cage
http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums...ght=c%26c+cage
baths....only give them a full bath like 1-2 times a month, but when their quilling, i find it helps with the itching. i also put oatmeal in a pantyhose and use that to stop the itch.

Tags
aspen shavings, cat food, chicken soup, chin room, dried fruit, dried pine, food bowl, food bowls, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, nest box, rabbit cage