Good Food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Good Food

What is the best food to be getting for my new hedgepig. I have Vitakraft's Hedgehog Food, but with 6.1% ash i suspect that is is dirt. First Hog so need good stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 AM

You are better off with a high quality cat food. If your hedgehog is overweight, then a light version of cat food is best. It is also recommended to feed a mix of 2-3 different brands as the exact nutritional requirements of hedgehogs is not known and this way they have the best chance of getting everything they need. When you switch your pet over from the Vitakrap to the cat food do it gradually by adding in a little more to the mix each day and slowly eliminating the Vitakrap (yes, that is not a typo...it is crap food) that will help prevent the famous green slimy poop and upset tummy from a quick change of food.
Some brands that are good are Chicken Soup for the Cat lover's soul, Royal Canin Slim or Royal Canin 37, and Blue Buffalo.
While 8 in 1 Hedgehog food is not adequate to feed alone, it can be used with a mix of high quality cat foods to help add additional ingredients not found in cat food.
Hope that helps!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Are those cat foods wet or dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:52 PM

We always fed dry kibble, but I know of some people who use the wet cat food. The 8 in 1 hedgehog food is definitely dry, though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Is sugar glider food any good?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 08:26 AM

I am not familiar with sugar glider's food, so I don't know. I have never heard of anyone feeding it to hedgehogs, so I am guessing no.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 09:12 PM

I would use low fat cat food. Im going to get a hedgehog this monday and im going to use low fat Iams, and Low Fat Wellness cat food. You can also use Stage two baby food. Just check to see if citric acid is in it because thats bad for them. They can also eat Meal worms as treats though because thay are fattening.

Tags
cat food, chicken soup, high quality cat foods, royal canin, sugar glider, wet cat food