Good treats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Good treats?

Hey, i was wondering what your hedgies like as a treat, besides mealies. Can a hedgie have any of the yogurt treats, and treats made for small animals like bunnies, ferrets, mice, and things? What can't they have in terms of store bought treats? Oreo loves dried papya, but then i was told the dried foods can be harmful to choke on, or get stuck. What about the flavored wood chew blocks? Would he even use them, and would they be good for his teeth at all? I think he'd like something other than cottage cheese, or mealies. And he doesn't like bananas. Also, is catnip toxic to hedgies? I want to give him cat toys to play with, but a lot of them contain cat-nip. Thanx!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAmandasZoo
Hey, i was wondering what your hedgies like as a treat, besides mealies.
Here is a short list of treats that I have heard work well with hedgies:

Stage 1 Gerber Baby Food especially bannanas, sweet potatos and meats
The baby food meat sticks
Insects of course--Mealworms, Silkworms, and Crickets
Cooked unseasoned lean meats--turkey, chicken, beef, salmon, tuna, pork, lamb
yogurt
boiled or scrambled egg
most fruits (no citrus fruit or avocados) and veggies
Also wet cat food can be used as a treat
Quote:
Can a hedgie have any of the yogurt treats, and treats made for small animals like bunnies, ferrets, mice, and things?
You should avoid small animal treats that contain any types of seeds, nuts, and dried fruit like raisins. I know that Yogurt Drops are sold on the Hedgehog Welfare Society site, so I am guessing they are okay to give.
Quote:
What can't they have in terms of store bought treats? Oreo loves dried papya, but then i was told the dried foods can be harmful to choke on, or get stuck. !!
As far as store bought treats I would suggest the baby food or regular fruits and veggies at your local grocery store. In the animal section or in a pet store I would suggest the wet cat food or insects.
Quote:
What about the flavored wood chew blocks? Would he even use them, and would they be good for his teeth at all?
Because hedgehogs are not rodents (but insectivores) I do not see them using the flavored wood chew blocks. Since they are not rodents they do not need to chew on things to keep their teeth from getting too long, as a matter of fact if they lose their teth, they will not grow back.
Quote:
I think he'd like something other than cottage cheese, or mealies. And he doesn't like bananas. Also, is catnip toxic to hedgies? I want to give him cat toys to play with, but a lot of them contain cat-nip. Thanx!!
I am not sure if catnip is toxic to hedgies, but I would avoid it until you find out.

I do not have a hedgie yet so I cannot tell you what mine prefers. I hope this helps
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Wonderful help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 08:32 PM

I wouldnt give them the chew blocks they dont need them,( they are not a rodent) try a cat ball or a toliet paper tube cut long ways (they love em) as for the yogurt drops I wouldnt reccomend them for the hedgies it better to feed them people yogurt as a treat that is naturaly.Another thing that is a must is a solid wheel (12"-15")
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

yep, he's got a solid wheel and tp tubes. He likes to slide into the tube so it covers his quills. he looks like a tank. lol He has lots of cat toys. At hobby lobby i got him a tiny stuffed teddy bear that he snuggles and somethimes carries around. so cute!

Tags
cat food, dried fruit, pet store, teddy bear, wet cat food