Hedgehog and Guinea Pig? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hedgehog and Guinea Pig?

I have been thinking about possibly getting a Hedgehog in the future. I was wondering if they get along with Guinea Pigs? I founf a video on YouTube called Hedgehog and Guinea Pig and those two seemed perfectly fine together. I was also wondering if they get along with rabbits? I know your not supposed to cage them together. I wouldn't be doing that at all...I know the risks of doing something like that. I mean if I let them out together for play time.

Proudly Owned By:
Patches, Odin, and Eddie (The Bunnies)
Chester and Willow (The Guinea Piggies)
Roxanne (The Doggie)
Charlotte (The Hamster)
Kermit, Cricket, Rocket, Woody, Crush, Chub and Noname
(The Amercian Toads)
R.I.P. You Will Be Missed:
Cookie, Snickers, Ice, Sugar, Chocolate Chip, and Cheeze-It (The Mice)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Rodentologist

I would not recommend letting them play together. It's too easy for them to hurt each other, and ditto to rabbits. If your parents wouldn't let you get another guinea pig, why would they let you get a hedgehog?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I am moving out soon. Thats why I wrote in the future. Did you watch the video? Its the video that made me wonder.

Proudly Owned By:
Roxanne (The Doggie)
Charlotte (The Hamster)
(The Amercian Toads)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Rodentologist

Yes, I did watch the video. I've seen too many animals harmed by interspecies play for one video to really sway my opinion. Accidents don't happen because we expect them, and guinea pigs are very fragile creatures.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I def understand that Guinea Pigs are very fragile. I dunno, I was just thinking that maybe that interspecies playtime could be a good thing. I just it just depends on the animals. Plus, I bet those two probably grew up together.

Proudly Owned By:
Roxanne (The Doggie)
Charlotte (The Hamster)
(The Amercian Toads)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Playful Pup

Mixing different species (or even mixing the same species!) is asking for trouble. They could seem to get along just fine, when suddenly one snaps, and you find one or both dead. I have had two animals that got along perfectly fine, but when I blocked off one section of their cage to clean, the submissive one freaked out and attacked and ate the dominant one. This is even more likely with two different species.

The living requirements are very very different, and even if the animals got along, it would not be healthy at all.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

as mentioned she said they wouldn't live together... just out for play time..

I have heard that hedgies are very solitary and don't interact much with anything so maybe if you had a big enough room that they could be out in and supervised it could work, but it would keep you very busy to watch both soo closely to be right there if anything did look like it could happen.

I let my ig out when my roommates cat and dog are in the room but he gives me that "mom get that thing away from me look" and i am quick to do so...

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Playful Pup

Ah, I did not see that before. I had read a similar thread before, and assumed it was the same question...

Regardless if they lived together or not, it would be dangerous.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I was truly just wondering after seeing that video. They seemed to be fine. Some things are ok, in my opinion, but only for play time. For example, I have let my guinea pig out during play time of the baby bunnies i had. They mostly stayed away from eachother.

Proudly Owned By:
Roxanne (The Doggie)
Charlotte (The Hamster)
(The Amercian Toads)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Flunky Emuhead

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd reply anyways!
That's actually my video haha, guess I'm not surprised someone on here found it.
People are right, separate species shouldn't be housed together that is just asking for trouble. However, when it comes to play times together, I think it really depends on the individual animals. Some GPs are more aggressive than others, same goes for Hedgies and everything else. Mine both happen to be pretty laid back. Any time a critter is with another one they should be CLOSELY supervised, especially if they're being introduced for the first time.
Another point is, take care in choosing what critters you let meet. For instance, I would NEVER have my gerbil and degus together, not for a minute. Nor would I put either of those with the Gp. They're far too spastic for him.
As far as "socializing" the Gp and hedgie, they really don't care about each other, so they really are only ever in the play ground together when I'm cleaning cages, other than that there's really no reason to have them play "togther".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 happy doggies Luke and Hank

2 Kittehs, Smudge and Phoebe aka Noodle

1 Guinea pig , Radar

1 Hedgie, Newman

3 Degus, Jodi, Wanda, and Mel

1 lovely beta fish "Ian"

Edward the gerbil

Tags
guiena pig, hedgehog, rabbits