Is A Hedgehog For Me? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Is A Hedgehog For Me?

Is A Hedgehog For Me?
One of the most frequently cited reasons for people who give up a pet is, “It wasn’t what I expected.” This happens all too often with dogs and cats, and more unusual pets such as hedgehogs are no exception. If people don’t know how to care for them properly or don’t have a realistic idea of their personalities, they can’t make an informed decision about whether or not a hedgehog is an appropriate pet for them. So, the following list is to help people know what they can expect from a hedgehog:

You can expect:
- To have to provide a regular source of appropriate, high quality food and clean water.

- To clean the cage once per week, sometimes a little more or less, and that it may or may not litter train.

- That it will need to stay warm (above about 70F), or else it may get sick and die.

- You will get poked. Even the best hedgehogs have off days.

- That there is a strong chance you will need to trim its toenails, even if it gets grumpy and doesn’t want you to.

- That it will self-anoint (i.e., spread spit or other things on itself).

- That it will do better if handled daily, even for just a few minutes.

- That it will be happier if it has a wheel and a place to hide.

- That a hedgehog who is not friendly to begin with may never become friendly, although they do often show slow improvement over the years.

- That it may bite, though this is unlikely. Anything with teeth may bite.

- That two males probably will not enjoy one another’s company, although two females may.

- That its life expectancy is 3 to 6 years, with cancer being an extremely common cause of death in older hedgehogs.

- That it will enjoy toys that it can climb in or on, and items it can manipulate.

- That it may poop on you, especially if it is a baby. Babies don’t seem to have much in the way of manners or bowel control.

- That most babies will go through a period of “quilling” and will be very grumpy for a while. You will need to hold it anyway, if you want to keep it from learning that this is a good way to get people to leave it alone.

- That it will probably need at least one trip to the vet for mites in its lifetime. The little pests are not species-specific, and can come from such innocuous sources as the bedding or other animals.

- That your hedgehog may never actively seek you out for companionship. Some hedgehogs do, but most just think humans are cool terrain to climb on.

Antigone Means-Burleson
Iola, KS
[email protected]
Source
Thanks to the folks at HedgehogValley.Com for allowing us to share their articles!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 02:33 PM
Newborn Pup

Let's not forget that they are nocturnal!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:12 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Thanks for bumpin Jade..... I was just about to post it!

~ Jodi ~

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 03:05 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hedgehogs are super fast, and can roll into a dangerous spiky ball. and they also beat up evil villians. You should definitely get a hedgehog! XD

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Newborn Pup

They smell really bad!

I
My Puppy Blue!

I
against pet stores selling puppies!!!!!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Just seen this post then. XD

I am pet sitting hedgehogs,they do not smell really bad o_O
But then again I clean cages every 3 days,but literally,they don't smell really bad.
Pet sitting gave me an opportunity to know what to expect with hedgehogs.
They are definately a pet for me,hands down .

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Adolescent Pup

what a wonderful thread I know all too well the plessure of getting a animal you have researched before hand and know what you are getting into its soo much more worth it in the long run. I know I really, really wold love to own hedgehog at some point in time...probably not all any time soon...but eventually and when I do get one I want to be as knowledgeable about them as possible so I can take one in and know just how the lil guy needs to be treated.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Playful Pup

This is a really good post! I think it would be interesting to get hedgehog, I've had hamsters and am looking into other animals. I didn't know much about their care, this really helped. I'm still not sure if a "hedgehog is for me", but I have a better idea.

x17 Chinese babies! Some Campbell's Dwarf Russians will be joining the family soon, too!)

Suzi (black lab)

P-cat (pussy cat)

Brenna
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Newborn Pup

thanks jade for all the hedgehog info : )
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Newborn Pup

or that people provide warm places to burrow and then hiss at you when you try to move them away from sensitive areas!

Tags
litter train