Hedgehogs, Anyone? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

View Poll Results: Do you own a hog, How many?
No, I dont own a hog 28 60.87%
Yes, i own 1 hog 8 17.39%
Yes, i own 2-5 hogs 6 13.04%
Yes, i own 6-10 hogs 2 4.35%
Yes, i own more that 10 hogs!*WOW* 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 02:12 AM
Newborn Pup

My hedgies' name is Diggory. He's a year and a half, and he and Louie are probably related by the sounds of it! Diggory would be under the catagory of Anti-social. He loves me but hates everyone else... unless he is in a huge group and is the centre of attention, then he likes people for about 2 minutes, then he wants to go to bed... Ahhh, life with a hedgie...

Annie & Diggory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 06:54 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

I hear ya!!!

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:51 PM
Playful Pup

My hedgie's name is Goo...short for the Great Googly Moogly. She got the name because she annoints -constantly-. Every time we pick her up, gotta lick and spit. But she's pretty social in general. She's good friends with one of our dogs (yeah, I know...weird), and she loves my boyfriend and me.

:blob8:
Courtney - Animal Tamer of "The Wild Kingdom": 7 ferrets (Ezra, Vin, Starkes, Pacce, Bucky, Spin, and Marty), 3 Puppies (Reece, Pith, and Parker), 3 Kittens (Loki, Dante, and Elly), 1 Rabbit (Benny), 7 Gerbils (Nathan=Mom, Josiah=Dad, Lightning, Thunder, Hail, Rain, & Sleet), and 1 Hedgehog (Goo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

The pictures of your Hedgies are so cute! I was wondering if one of you guys could answer a question for me...
In a lot of your posts you mention "annointing".... what does that mean? I'm assuming it's a common behavior to hedgehogs?
I'm facinated.....

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, some hedgeogs annoint ALOT but ihave only seen my girls annoint a few times. Annointing in whe they lick/smell something they will foam at the mout, then twist in all sorts of weird direction so lick the foam onto their Quills. No one REALLY knows why they do this though.

Caitlin

post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh, heres a pic of Bridget annointing. Shes not very twisted up though, and usually she twists so far it looks too sick to watch!hehe she liked licking a candle for this one!!
ps, please dont mind the overly poopie feet..It was bath time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridget 12.jpg (24.2 KB, 73 views)

Caitlin

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 09:06 AM

Great pic Cait! I don't have any of Louie anointing. He doesn't do it often either...but sometimes when he does it really grosses me out! lol

~ Jodi ~

post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 07:19 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Ohh I love that picture Cait! Thanks! Her tongue sticking out looks so cute!
OK - so they "annoint" when they come in contact with something? Then foam and rub the spit onto themselves... and twist themselves around to reach parts of their bodies? Wow... that really is facinating! Annointing sounds like a religious ritual - and the way I hear it described here... it sounds like it almost is

I would not have known that Bridget had poopie feet ! Even after you mentioned it and I looked at the picture again... I thought she had freckles

Jodi - why does it gross you out when Louie does it? I adore his name, btw

[center]

[
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 11:57 PM

When Louie annoints - he really annoints! It's not just a little spit....it's all foamy and watching him spread it all over his quills is....ummmm....interesting.

They are very neat little guys though. It's just one of those things that gets to me...go figure...I spend an hour cleaning Toby's cage and don't get grossed out!

~ Jodi ~

post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:03 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I call the bird cages "guano pits" - I hate, hate, hate, cleaning bird cages- but I do it and it doesn't gross me out either.
(It's supposed to be Jim's job!! grrrrrrr)

This is so off topic for this thread but...
yanno what I got that is the *best* thing I ever bought to help me clean those cages? A hand held steam cleaner! It shoots a stream of steam that virtually melts the mess... all you have to do is wipe it up. Then I just go over it with my usual disinfectant cleaner - shoot some more steam- and wipe it all down dry. It's fast, gets into all the hard to reach places, and the cages sparkle. (for about 2 minutes- after I put them back in

[center]

[
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:19 AM

Lets move this discussion to Bird Discussion......

~ Jodi ~

post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 02:38 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

that is a good idea... I'm sorry - I didn't mean to take it totally off-topic!!

[center]

[
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Playful Pup

Here's a picture of our Goober. This is back in December, just after we got her, so she's still just a wee one. I really need to get some more recent pics of her with the digital camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goo 1 12-29-02 - smaller.jpg (13.3 KB, 44 views)

:blob8:
Courtney - Animal Tamer of "The Wild Kingdom": 7 ferrets (Ezra, Vin, Starkes, Pacce, Bucky, Spin, and Marty), 3 Puppies (Reece, Pith, and Parker), 3 Kittens (Loki, Dante, and Elly), 1 Rabbit (Benny), 7 Gerbils (Nathan=Mom, Josiah=Dad, Lightning, Thunder, Hail, Rain, & Sleet), and 1 Hedgehog (Goo)
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 05:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh my gosh! She's adorable!! makes me want to smother her little face in kisses.... umm... I don't know if you can kiss a hedgie though, can you?

Precious and adorable!!!

[center]

[
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 08:17 PM

What a cutie!!

Boy, my Louie looks like a chunky monkey compared to Goober!

~ Jodi ~

Tags
bird cage, pet store, water bowl