Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
10K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  kala83 
#1 ·
The Hedgehog : An Owner's Guide to a...

The rest of these are fictional books - so cute, I bet kids would really enjoy them!

Mixed-Up Max - The hedgehog family of Number 5A longs to reach the park across the road, but the busy street traffic makes it much too dangerous. Max solves the problem in this funny animal tale from the author of the popular bestseller "Babe".

Miss Jaster's Garden - After Miss Jaster mistakenly scatters flower seeds over Hedgie the hedgehog's quills, he begins to sprout and bloom, then dances out of the garden. Miss Jaster calls for the constable to help her recover her stolen flowers.

The Hat - Hedgie the hedgehog discovers the wisdom of the adage, "Don't go poking your nose where it doesn't belong" only after curiosity gets this prickly fellow in a pickle.

Hedgie's Surprise - Henny doesn't know what to do. Every morning the irksome gnomelike Tomten steals her egg and takes it home to cook in his kettle and gobble up for breakfast. But when she sees Goosey-Goosey sailing by with a gaggle of goslings, Henny is suddenly galvanized to do something. Will she never have chicks of her own? She consults her wise friend Hedgie the Hedgehog, who comes up with a clever plan guaranteed to give the Tomten a sharp lesson in appropriate behavior.

The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle - The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is another perfectly splendid story by Beatrix Potter. This time the author introduces a human character to the world of animals...

The Happy Hedgehog - Mikko the little hedgehog loved his garden. He knew all the animals that lived there. He knew all the plants and flowers too, and he enjoyed learning about their healing powers...

See less See more
#2 ·
There is another Kids book that I picked up from work Today called "Roly Poly Prickly Hedgehog" by Sylvia Helen Vincent. It is really cute. The Illustrations are really cute. It's about this hedgie who is sad because his friend mouse is mad at him cuz they always go and play roly poly (rolling down a hill) and Hedgehog always prickles him and promises he won't do it again, but forgets his promises and prickles him next time.

It's a really cute story with morals and lessons and all that junk. It's really cute.

#5 ·
I got a book from my boyfriend shortly before I got Hamish on Hedgehogs and their care. Its called.......Hedgehogs (A complete pet owner's manual) by Barrons. Written by Matthew M. Vriends, Ph.D. and Tanya M. Heming-Vriends. He purchased it in the pet store where I got Hamish, and is really full of good information.

#6 ·
I like the Barron's book for pictures, but I find that it's a little biased, like the author based his info on observing his own pet hedgehog, but it doesn't apply to all hedgehogs. For example, the book says that hedgehogs can't be litter trained, but a lot of them can. I found an interesting book on ebay called "The Natural Hedgehog". It isn't too useful for learning about pygmy hedgehogs as pets, but was written about caring for wild (European) hedgehogs that you find injured. It has really nice diagrams and info on hedgehogs of the world. It also has a lot of methods of keeping a hedgehog healthy with natural and holistic means, which can also be applied to pet hedgehogs.

#7 ·
I found a few books that looked like promising reads when I did a quick search on Barnes and Noble's site:

Guide to Owning an African Pygmy Hedgehog : Housing, Feeding, Breeding, Exhibition, Health Care
by Dennis Kelsey-Wood,

The Guide to Owning a Hedgehog
by Audrey Pavia, Nikki Moustaki

Keeping African Pygmy Hedgehogs As a New Pet
by Dennis Kelsey-Wood, Ralph Lermayer

Hedgehogs
by Matthew M. Vriends Ph.D.

Hedgehog: An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet
by Dawn Wrobel, Susan A. Brown DVM

a few of the books on Barnes and nobles sites had mixed reviews saying some of the books did not give such great advise on how to keep the animals but I would like to get serveral opinions on the matter before I commit to getting one. I have already been lucky enough to meet a breeder in the area, more so in the st.louis area..but still finding exotic breeder actually in the state is hard enough. and I have been wanting to try and find books on the subject to read up on for a while now, so I can have knowledge as to how to keep a hedgie well.

Besides I love the fact Barnes and Nobles site has a feature were you can buy the books used. I would feel a lil better about reading a book that did not have accurate info but some good if I was only paying $1.99 or two bucks for it as opposed to 7 or 14. I wish my library had books on hedgehogs, I have checked out pet books many times from my local library and found it to be most helpful on information and on saving me from spending my own money to get books. But some times with certain topics you just don't luck out so easily. Hopefully I can educate myself well, and find out all the info I need to before going out and getting my new hedgie though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.