Hedgie climbing cage bars! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Hedgie climbing cage bars!

Ok so after putting my hedgie back in his cage he started to climb the cage bars! Can he brake his leg when he does that? Im really worried i dont want him to hurt himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Part of the Pack

i'm not too read up on hedgies, but most rodents climb their cage bars.

i'd imagine that climbing the cage bars would be alright for a hedgie even if they did fall off. the whole back full of spines would act like landing on a mattress, would it not? they're not spikey on the hedgehog end i hope.

someone who knows more about hedgehogs might correct me, but i'd say it's alright.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 03:28 PM

Climbing the cage bars is very dangerous for hedgehogs. They aren't rodents and can't grab onto things like them. Most pet hedgehogs are tame enough where they will not ball up completely and can get severely injured even by a short fall. Also if a leg got caught, it is highly likely it would get broken.

You can buy plastic placemats or report covers to weave between the bars. This will discourage the behaviour.

If you have a small guy (under 300 grams) you want to make sure he is not climbing. They are very good escape artists, and unfortunately if he is trying to squeeze out, there is a chance he will get stuck and hang himself. This nearly happened to my boy once, but luckily I was there and got him unstuck, and got a new cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

yeah he has a good cage now so he cant get out and hes a more bigger hedgehog, he also stopped climbing it i think. I think the reason he did climb it was cause i had just taken him out and he wanted to come back out again. Thanks!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:11 PM

I just bought a wire dog kennel and my boyfriend and I are going to line the inside with window screen, to prevent climbing and escaping. Like what just recently happened Maybe you should try doing that?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Like the others I am not sure about hedgies, but many animals climb the cage bars and never hurt themselves. There is always the possibility of them falling but they are pretty skilled and coordinated.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
Like the others I am not sure about hedgies, but many animals climb the cage bars and never hurt themselves. There is always the possibility of them falling but they are pretty skilled and coordinated.
It's not good for hedgehogs to climb. It should be a sign of them not having enough to do in their cage.
Falling is bad for hedgehogs, and they should never have a cage, where there is a risc of them falling down.

I don't have a hedgie, I've just been doing too much reserch >_<

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Sorry!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 03:32 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

No need for being sorry

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Tags
hedgehog