Hedgie Diets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Hedgie Diets

I've had my Hedgie (Goo or the Great Googly Moogly...first time we held her, she "gooed" herself...the whole self-anointing) for a few months. Mainly I feed her a commercial hedgie diet: Pretty Pets I believe is the name. I've heard it's pretty good in terms of commercial diets. I also give her some crickets from the pet store. Now...I've also heard they like meal worms and some veggies and fruits.
So my question is...what sort of fruits and veggies? I'm reluctant to just offer her some assortment in case some are bad for hedgies. Anyone have any suggestions? And with meal worms, are they supposed to be alive or dead? I just have these images of the little things wiggling out of Goo's bowl and camping out all over her cage. And if dead, how do you kill them before putting them in her bowl?
Silly questions I know. Goo's just my first pet which really eats other "living" things. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 09:29 PM

Hedgies do a good job of gnashing up the mealies, so the mealies don't have to be pre-killed. =) Some foods that are accepted by some hedgies (keep in mind, nothing is accepted by all, and not al hedgies accept the same foods all the time) include banana, corn, potato, sweet potato, apple sauce, watermelon, strawberries, and peas!

Tig
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My hedgie just LOVES mealies. He wraps his little tongue around them and slurps them up like noodles. The first couple of times I gave him some it kind of grossed me out but once I got used to it, it was kind of neat.

Wow, I didn't know hedgies could have bananas, corn and peas! I'll have to try those. Thanks nannyogg!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 09:51 PM

I feed my hedgie Wellness lite cat food formula. I tried the Pretty Pets but she didn't like it so much. I also give her mealies which I have to be careful of my fingers or she tries to eat them too! She loves little bits of chicken and steak, bananas and apples. I don't find too much that she wont eat!

Tags
cat food, meal worms, pet store