Hedgie food? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Hedgie food?

What food do you feed your hedgie?
At the moment I'm feeding science diet light because that is what the small rescue we got him from was feeding and he likes it. I read somewhere recently that this is not a good food for them.... I want to swich to somthing like Natrual Balance or Royal Canin ( I think they have that for cats) He's also a VERY picky eater.. no matter what I try he wont touch it..he just loves his kibble! Any ideas for treats a picky hedgie may like? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 PM

Try some IAMS. My Hedgie Likes the Kitten Formula.
Add two or three Mealworms a day too.
They'll LOVE You for That.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

I've also read that Iams can be bad for them (I would never feed my hedgie anything I wouldn't feed my other pets, and Iams is on that list) I'd really like to try natrual balance for cats, it seems really good, it's high in protien and low in fat and other "fillers".
Also, He's an uber picky eater... he wont touch meal worms...or any kind of fruit/yogurt/cottage cheese/peas and carrots/ anything else I put in there. thanks for your advise tho!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by leplake View Post
What food do you feed your hedgie?
At the moment I'm feeding science diet light because that is what the small rescue we got him from was feeding and he likes it. I read somewhere recently that this is not a good food for them.... I want to swich to somthing like Natrual Balance or Royal Canin ( I think they have that for cats) He's also a VERY picky eater.. no matter what I try he wont touch it..he just loves his kibble! Any ideas for treats a picky hedgie may like? thanks!
Here's some good information on feeding hedgies and brands of food that are good: Pet Info Packets :: Hedgehogs
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:04 PM

I feed my hedgie Newmans Own Organic Senior cat food. She loves it and it is healthy for her.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 04:24 PM

Congrats on your new hedgie! We always fed ours a mixture of at least 3 foods since we really don't know all their nutritional requirements it seems that a variety is best. Chicken Soup for the Cat lover's Soul, Royal Canin light adult cat food, and at least one other high quality cat food.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:35 PM

This is my first hedgie but i've had him for 10mos now. Right now Ron Jeremy is on Meow Mix Indoor Formula. He does like it, especially when I make it moist with warm water But I have gotten him mealworms before. I put 2 worms in with his cat food but he just ate around them. He did eventualy eat one, over the 3 or 4 days I supplied the treats. I heard somewhere that I may have to make him taste it. Because he may not know what it is and that it tastes good. I think I got him to eat musched banana once. It was more like banana flavored cat food But one time my boyfriend introduced Ron to a warm semi-cooked piece of asparagus, that he munched on. Are there any suggestions on what new foods Ron may like and how I can introduce them to him?
Thanks!
*~*Kandra*~*
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Hello Earthling

Old thread.

I would feed meow mix to anything it garbage food.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

My advice is: get him off of meow mix now! Meow mix is basically trash with a label that says "cat food" They compact all the inedible nutrition less left overs that they can't feed things like meat cows, and slap a label on it. Here's a guide line. If it is available at a regular grocery store, wal-mart, costco target or any non pet specialty store, don't feed it to your pet!
Do some research on hedgehog nutrition. Pay close attention to the protein and fat ratios that are healthiest for hedgies. Write them down and take it to the pet store. Try and find a food that's as close to his natural diet as you can. Things that are more "buggy" like crab or crawfish (it's out there)

I personally fed my hedgie Vita craft's sunseed hedgehog formula. It contained more buggy type ingredients, more suitable for a hedgehog.

Tags
cat food, chicken soup, meal worms, royal canin