Help me with new Cage - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Zoo Keeper

you can order those off the site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Yes, well with a little guidance from the hedgehog forum, I am dropping the idea of getting a cover for her cage. I didn't know this, but to help her keep on her natural nocturnal schedule, I need to keep the cage uncovered during the day, and perhaps even cover it a bit at night to keep lamp light out. So, no more hood.

I'm stealing Jess' idea about tying fleece to make the loft enclosed. Still working on the best way to enclose the ramp.

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Zoo Keeper

yes I was thinking about that thats what I am concerned with as well.

Hmm ... if she is using the ramp really well do you need to enclose it?

If so i would just make a coroplast ramp and zip tie it to her current ramp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Well I was reading the "hedgehog cage set up examples" section of HHC and a lot of members got flack for not enclosing their ramps or walling off the loft. So better safe than sorry

Even though I think my hedgehog is smart about it (because her first cage with me had a ramp and a loft and she never fell), the last thing I would want is to find her injured from falling on accident. She might get excited or slip, or try to turn around mid ramp..

I guess falling from INCHES can cause internal bleeding for hedgehogs, especially if they fall in such a way that they cannot ball up.

So, someone said dryer vent to enclose the ramp, another said ferret tunnel (the cool expandable kind), some people are handy enough to build an actual rail (I see problems with a rail tho)... can you link me a picture of what you mean with the chloroplast zip-tie?

Any other ideas? I really like the ramp itself, so I would want to keep it somehow. I duno.

Also, Just figured out why no one has the same wheel that I do, because there are a couple potential dangers such as toenail snagging or the wheel falling over (after unscrewing itself????)

Anyway, I am looking into either a DIY bucket wheel or buying the "gold standard" known as the CSW (Carolina Storm Wheel) for her. The cool thing about the CSW is it comes with a litter pan underneath for easy cleaning! I just got paid so I'm budgeting $50 on the new wheel (that would be the high end if I were to order the wheel from the site with shipping, whereas a DIY wheel might be $20, $30 at most)

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

Last edited by tinypixiexoxo; 11-21-2011 at 10:19 AM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Here are her new pan liners and her new wheel! I had to rearrange because the wheel is so darned big!

Still in the mail is her ferret tunnel to make her ramp more safe. Last thing to do then is to put fleece up as a wall for the loft.

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Zoo Keeper

Looks great You are SOO lucky she will let you keep pan liners on lol
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 03:28 PM
is a little "special"

Cute! I love her little set-up!!

So are hedgies litter box trainable, since you can use fleece instead of bedding?

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Kind of. They are litter trained by accident if you count this:

Hedgies run for miles in the wild at night and when the run, they eliminate both their bladder and bowels.. so when they run on the wheels at night, they nearly always "go" on their wheel.

The set up I just got allows for the waste to easily slide off the wheel while she is still in motion and into the litter pan. 90% of her poopies land right in front of the wheel with her old set up so I'm fairly sure this new set up will catch it and make cleaning so much easier!

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Zoo Keeper

thats SO awesome
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

I am finally done messing with the cage! I finally made a "wall" for the loft so she can't fall off, and also a "ramp rail" so she wont fall off the ramp as well.

I found felt at the craft store... BLACK SPARKLY FELT. yes, so I bought that and used it for the wall, and then used purple felt for the ramp rail.

I found this stretchy, but very strong plastic/rubber rope like stuff to tie them to the cage. It actually looks really good!

Thanks for all the help!

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Zoo Keeper

Cute and Creative

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 02:38 PM
is a little "special"

Wow, I love it!! Sparkly felt = Awesome.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Zoo Keeper

is she underneath the liner in the one pic? And I think its time for more toys for Izzie lol

Proud Mommy to-

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

She is always under the liner she doesn't like her blanket for some reason.

I've tried toys with her, but all a toy means in the cage is it's a space she will avoid. Like the useless blankey in the picture, she avoids the area because she doesn't like the blanket.

So, I want her to have all the space she wants to roam, so putting toys would cut down the space that she can roam.

I've tried a ball with a bell inside, a toy car that hedgehogs supposidly like to push, bird hangy toys, she hates those things...

She is by far the pickiest hog out there!

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Zoo Keeper

LOL good luck.

Proud Mommy to-