Hey! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Talking Hey!

Where are all my hedgie people?!?

How is everybody's hedgie doin these days?

Kay, have you found out yet what the poopie wheel is like?

We just got Louie a new batch of mealworms and he acts like he hasn't had one in a year (it's been about a 4 days!! LOL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

MUST

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

HAVE

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 07:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

PICTURES!!

Stephanie

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Yes ma'am...
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Grover is as pudgy as ever! I think it's time for a diet! He doesn't seem to be using his wheel very much anymore, well, at least I don't hear him running on it like he used to. He's got some really dry skin right now and I've noticed he's lost quite a few quills on the top of his back. Any idea what might be going on? I'm chalking up the dry skin to winter and it's dry in here with the woodstove going, but I'm a little concerned about the loss of quills.

Rhonda

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Do you have any idea how much Grover weighs? I haven't checked Louie in awhile - guess I should do that because I was thinking the same thing. He's a stout little guy! LOL

He may have mites. When Louie had 'em he was dry and losing quills. Is he losing any hair?

If it's just dry skin, you can use a drop of vitamin E on his back and also, I've had great results with an oatmeal shampoo.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 10:01 PM

Nope, not mites. I was checking him really close and bought some hedgie safe mite spray just in case. He's not loosing fur either, just the quills on his back.

I will have to try the Vit. E and oatmeal treatment.

Rhonda

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Jade!

I am concerned about Widget
For about 3 weeks or so now she has been acting very wierd.
She used to stop huffing after holding her for a few minutes, but all of a sudden now she won't stop. She stays curled up in her ball all the time while you are holding her. It's like something happened to her She is still eating, drinking and playing as normal at night. She even runs on her wheel like she is in a marathon all night long. She as perfectly fine as long as nobody goes near her.

What could be wrong with her? I have been working really hard to snap her out of this, but I don't seem to be getting very far.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 10:41 PM

PMS?

Rhonda

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Hmm? didn't think of that!! I wonder how that works in a hedgie??
Oooohhhhh Cait?!?!?!? How does the hedgie heat cycle work??
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 06:06 AM

I don't know how old Widget is but just around 4 months my Snow turned from a little sweetheart to a grump. Really touchy, poufed and huffed quickly and even gave warning nips for no reason...well I didn't see any reason. LOL I took her to the vet for a mite check and she said the grumpy was puberty. Yup, thats exactly how she was acting....the attitude, the touchy, _itchy just not herself. This lasted close to a month and she is fine again. Now Peaches is going through it at the same age.

Hedgies are induced ovulators so they ovulate when the male is around.

I have to put vit E on Peaches every 3-4 days or she's into the scratching. When she stratches though it's not a continual scratch in one area. She will stand there and give a couple of scratches to every part of her body then she's done. I have wondered about mites but the vit E totally stops the scratches for those few days and I don't think it would stop mites. Would it? Also with mites they would scratch constantly and more in one area wouldn't they?

Sorry for the long post.
Nancy
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 07:39 AM

Truffles is his huffy old self, we are working with his issues and he doesn't get put back in his house until he is quiet and I am done holding him. He has learned real quick to settle down so I am satisfied. Silly boy.

Trifle, (I guess now is a good time to introduce her) is a sweet heart. She enjoys being held and rolling around in her ball every morning vrrrooooom, there she goes. She isn't a bit huffy and she is quilling. She loves every treat I give her, unlike Truffles who will not touch anything but his food. When Trifle is in her ball (Truffles stays curled up in a ball, so it is Trifles) she makes the cutest noises, I hadn't realized how vocal hedgies were.

They both love their wheels and their very own heating pads under their cages. I have them on a timer so they run for a hour and are off for two. I got rid of all bedding in the cages, and I am now using liners that I made. They have their own sleeping bags and blankies that are pulled into their igloo's every morning. Talking about morning I had better go clean out their houses now.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 07:40 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Nancy that would explain everything!! She is about4 months!! LOL

How does the vitamin E work? Just a drop on 1 spot? or do you have to cover the whole back?? I cannot get her to put her quills down at all. I too was thinking about mites as it sounds like she is scratching a bit at night (not a whole lot though).

Thanks Nancy!!
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 08:07 AM

fstybrat
At first I was just putting a drop of Vit E between her shoulder blades. Now I put it there and also a drop on each hip. It spreads on its own and if they are poufed at the time, so much the better as you can put the drop right on her skin. Where you put the drop will be a bit greasy for a day or two. Right now I am using the vit E capsules as my dad takes it and I got some from him but I am soon going to buy the Vit E oil.

I don't often hear Peaches scratching in her cage. It's usually when I have her out and very often follows a stretching session. Now that is funny to watch! Then she'll do her scratch all over routine. It's almost a leisurely scratch, certainly not the frantic scratch of something biting. Maybe the whole thing is her exersize routine. Maybe she's just wierd! LOL

Do your ferrets scratch? Our girl does some frantic scratching at times. She too has been to the vet and no mites or fleas. Maybe the dry air is just drying everyone out.

Nancy

Last edited by Teasels Mom; 11-25-2003 at 08:10 AM.

Tags
heat cycle, heating pad, pet store