Hissing, aggressive or stressed hedgehog? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Hissing, aggressive or stressed hedgehog?

Hello!

I started working at a pet shop last month, and I don't think i'm going to stay there very long because coworkers and bosses teach me wrong things (i always do research at home to see what's true or not) and don't really have time to take care of the animals properly.

We have a hedgehog for sale, african, it's a male but I don't know how old, he's been there since I started working so at least a month and a half.
People ask to see him sometimes and I have to take him out with a glove. He hisses when he hears the cage open, he ALWAYS hides all day long under his food bowl and I never see him about. if you tough him, he is obviously scared and hisses and puts himself a bit more into a ball at each touch. We tried the other day for maybe an hour to get him to just walk, tried to lure him with food etc... he stayed in a ball the whole time.
My coworkers say his skin must hurt and we should bathe him more.
The other day he bit the glove super hard, if it had been my hand he could have possible torn off the skin, he wouldn't let go!

I'm so sad for the poor little hedgehog, he seems traumatized. Do you know if there's anything I can do to help him feel more relaxed? does bathing help? do I put him in a bath, or hold him under the running warm water ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Hello Earthling

My hedgehog was like that just less server. I use to just fill the sink with a couple cm of warm water and plop him in, he always came out of his ball in the water. Don't bathe to often though you'll dry out his skin.

Does he have a hide? A snuggle punch? Anything?

He probably super stressed out being in a pet store environment.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Herp Nerd

Hedgehogs are nocturnal, and should be sleeping/hiding all day, and have an easy place to do so. I'd be willing to be he runs around his cage like mad when it's dark and quiet in the store.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

You're right, he's probably very active at night when it's quiet.

All he has in his cage is his food bowl, I'm going to find something to add in there! Poor little guy.

How often should the baths be? more like once a week or every 2 days? and if I put him in the water, he will be in a ball, is it better to put him on his back or his side in the water first?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Hello Earthling

My hedgie like to hide in flower pots. He would even tip them over himself. SO things like flower pots, the igloo things and sleeping sack will work well.

I only bathed my hedgehog every other week and used a soft tooth brush to clean his spikes during bathtime and in between baths.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

thank you for all the advice
it's very appreciated!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

So after giving the hedgehog a little house to hide in, I took him out after a few days and he already seemed to be less stressed than the previous time and came out of his ball a bit more
We also bathed him and he came out completely and seemed to like it, and mellows down after. So i'm gonna continue to bathe him regularly and hope to see improvement with his stress!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Hello Earthling

Great to hear he is doing better!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 PM

I am a hedgehog breeder but all our breeders have names and are not just breeders. I have been breeding Exoitcs for 7 yrs. and I love it! If I can help with any questions please let me know.

As far as this hedgie he is nocturnal and should be given a bath once a month in puppy shampoo for fleas and ticks because they can get mites and this causes their quills to fall out. I bet he is up and about at night but it sounds also like he has not been messed with and will unlikely be hard to sale. Our babies are handled everyday to ensure they are sweet because it don't take much and they will be huffy and hiss at you.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

thanks!

I really am trying to make him a nicer little hedgie! He really likes the baths so I'm going to continue that, and when I have free time to let him out a little.
Our store should take on more volunteers to socialize the animals!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Newborn Pup

Hissing when you wake them up is normal, at least it is for grumpy hedgehogs, which you have. Just ignore the spike ball and pick him up at least once a day anyway. It also helps if you hold him and tip him up so his tail is above his head. Put him on an angle so his face will come out from being balled up and this helps them to relax because their instinct is to hiss and be defensive when they are in a ball, but to be relaxed when they are out of their defensive ball. This way you can show your customers what a charming little creature he can be!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I'm sorry to say this, but putting a balled up hedgie in shallow water, just to get it out of the ball is plain cruel.
The poor animal think it's drowning, and only stops to ball up, becase it's scared.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
bath, hedgehog, stress