How fascinating!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thumbs up How fascinating!!

I got to see AND hold a hedgie in person today!!!
They sure are fascinating little creatures!! Oh Man decisions decisions! Hubby really liked the hedgies too!

He says I have one week to decide what I want to do...
(I'm now torn between a hedgie or a chinchilla?? Gotta read up on chins now. I will NOT buy any animal without plenty of knowldege FIRST!) ( I told him I will buy the chinchilla & HE can buy the hedgehog... that way I win either way!! )

We'll see what happens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 07:20 AM

I'm so glad you got to meet one in person! They're little characters aren't they?

I know you're thinking about Chinnies too. Just remember that Hedgies & Chinnies shouldn't be kept in the same room because they both need different temps.

Hey Shdwracer....you know you want one!!!!

Good luck on your decision Kay....you know I'm here if you have any more questions. I think we about covered everything on Sunday but feel free to ask away! Keep me posted!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

if we do get both, I was thinking my office is warmed than my bedroom (I think cause it is a smaller room) so the chinnie would be in the bedroom & hedgie in the office I can't put a chin in the living room cause of the ferts. I am still gathering info on chins though... granted I know the basics but that doesn't seem to be enough. I know I still want a hedgie though!!

OMG the ones at the pet store were remarkable!! in your opinion what is the difference between male & female as far as personality & tempermant? I got to hold both. they are about 3 months old. Of course both of them balled up & yea I kinda got poked a little until they started to relax. the male seemed to have un curled faster than the female & wanted to run. The female just wanted to sleep. The colors where so beautiful! the males were lighter than the females as far as the brown tones go. I think they would lean more towards the chocolate. In the female cage they even hada cream color one!! There was a little hissing (actually it sounded like little sneezes, but I know it wasn't LOL) going on from the male but NO clicking. There is just something about these little guys!! & the guy working the petstore handled them very well, you could tell that the hogs really trusted him. Although he said that he didn't think there was a problem keeping more than 1 in the same cage?? Now I'm confuse I thuoght they were territorial? (there where I think 3 of each in each cage.)

Ok Jodi Girl... if I where to make a cage home made... what do you think for dimensions??

OH and I though there poops were like guinea pigs... little tine turds?? OH man I thuoght there was a cat of little dog hiding in that hedgie cage!! I was also amazed at how BIG they are!! I always pictured them as being small! (geez the more I talk about them the more I want one! )

Ok better get going, I will check in in a while! Have a wonderful day!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 07:49 AM

OOOoooo! Tough choice! I can't wait to find out which one you decide on.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:01 AM

2 males should NEVER be housed together - they can fight to the death with each other. 2 females can be housed together (although I personally would give each their own space) especially if they are raised together. But sometimes the 2 females just might not get along (kinda like humans!! LOL).

As far as male vs. female personality & tempermant - IMO, their really isn't a whole lot of difference. They both have the same qualities. I would go with the most active & friendly one if you have a choice. (Remember, they're nocturnal so the female you held might have just been sleepy & may be quite rowdy when the evening comes!)

Aren't they adorable when they ball up?? I love how they suck themselves in to that little ball!! And with getting poked with the quills...you'll learn how to pick them up where you don't get stuck (ouch!) & also once they get to know you they'll be more relaxed & comfortable around you. The hissing, snorting & huffing is normal.

For the cage....I would recommend 2 Sterlite containers (most people use these) that you can connect with a PVC tube. Try to stay away from glass aquariums unless you're going to go with a big 55 gallon or bigger one. They need to have a lot of ventilation. The bigger the containers the better but go with what you can fit (& afford!) in your office. Youv'e seen Louie's cage which was really easy to make but not that cheap (about $125)...he has plenty of room to run & play.

Yep, they are living poop monsters!! LOL You wouldn't think that many poopies could come from a hedgie!!!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

With a sterilite container what should be a minimum height?? I know Scarlette suggested a 96 qt container... I guess I'll have to look at them in person to decide a good size. I just don't want to get somethig too shallow.

Also from all the reading I have do\ne, everyone suggests using pine bedding (which is what I use for the guinea pigs) but the pet store had them on corn cob bedding (which is what I use for my ferts... either way I have both, but which is truely better???

Food... that's another question. The guy at the petshop said he has never heard of anyone feeding cat/kitten food, he said ONLY feed hedgie food which there was 25.00 for a 5-10 lb bag.
I need your input there!! of course hedgie food is better but kitten food would be easier to find... what is best for the hedgie is most important!!

Umm I know I am leaving something out... I'll be back!!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:59 AM

A 96 quart Sterlite would be great! I would say the sides need to be 12 - 18 inches high. And be sure he can't climb on top of his Igloo then escape over the side that way (just put the igloo a little ways from the side). You're right - you don't want something too shallow.

FYI, there are cages online that you can buy too...or you can buy a wire cage (similar to ferret cages) but the Sterlites are the most popular, practical & affordable.

We actually have a ramp/ladder toy for Louie but we put it in the middle so he can't climb up & out.

For bedding I use Cellsorb Plus and it works great. I would HIGHLY recommend this. It's amazing stuff. http://www.cell-sorb-plus.com/ Most hedgie owners use this stuff and swear by it.

If you're going to potty train your hedgie you can use bedding in the litter box but use a liner (like Cait* does) for the rest of the cage. When we were trying to potty train Louie I used a liner - but we can talk about that later...

Pine bedding is ok (it has to be Kiln dried though) but one problem with shavings and hedgies is that it can stick to them and get carried around your house! LOL

I've actually heard that corn-cob bedding is NOT something you should use for hedgies! It's gets moldy quickly, they may try to eat it (which can be a hazard), it can be harder for them to walk on, doesn't really encourage burrowing or nesting and can get "stuck" to ummm, some personal areas. I don't know why that pet store is using it - they should know better - but you will want to stay away from it!!

I'm gonna use another reply for the food issue....
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 01:31 PM

OMG, now you're gonna get me going on the food issue. They actually said he had never heard of feeding cat food?? Apparently they don't know a whole lot about hedgies!! Ugh!

Ok, first off...Feeding a mix of cat food & hedgie food is most recommended by hedgie owners & breeders. The ingredients in quality cat food is better than a lot of the hedgehog foods. Hedgies need a high protein, low fat diet. Good quality cat food is an excellent diet for hedgies.

Hedgie foods like 8 in 1 and Spikes Delight are "good" hedgie foods.

Some good cat foods are Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, Nutrience, Premium L'Avian & Wellness. Stay away from Iams (I've read it can cause liver problems in hedgies).

So the bottom line is...it's best to mix good quality cat food & good quality hedgie food. I mix 8 in 1 & Nutrience. With fresh fruit & veggies & mealworms. ( I'm switching my brand of cat food to Cat Lovers Soul though.)

Hedgies can have lots of different veggies & fruits too. Avoid stuff that has high fat, high sugar & high salt. Louie loves boiled chicken and small apple chunks. Some hedgies enjoy baby food (from a jar).

And don't forget about mealworms & crickets. Louie LOVES mealworms...he will literally run to get one when I offer it! Mealies & crickets are only used as treats though. They are not the main diet.

Hope that helps!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

It helps tremendously!! that cat lover soul sound pretty popular, I have heard it reccommebded by others too. Ok where would I find this?? I think the ONLY reason he said I HAVE to feed hedgie food is because that is what they sell & they make money off you then (needless to say it wasn't exactly cheap either)

I did know about the mealies & crickets being treats only. I've also heard they LOVE cooked chicken! trial & error to see what they like ya know!

NOW one thing I really need to know is switching foods... is this bad on a hedgie? should it be a gradual change or are they pretty accepting of change??

I'm going to another thread now... litter training
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 02:52 PM

Yup, change their food slowly/gradually like you would for a dog.

Your right...it's all trial & error...I've heard of some hedgies that will eat a ton of different stuff and then some that just refuse!

You should be able to find Chicken Soup for Cat Lover Soul at most of your pet stores (especially the big ones)...otherwise you can always order online.

Here is a list of places that sell it in MN: http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...1.asp?state=MN

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:05 PM

Kay, they sell that Cat Lovers Soul where I work and I get a 30% discount if you want to go that route?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

you'd let me take advantage discount??
that's very sweet of you!! how much is it there roughly?
I got the stuff for it's home today... I know I am missing something besides a wheel (I can't seem to find a big one that is solid rather than metal wires.)
I am not sure if I am getting a male or female yet... gotta check out all their tempers when I pick one out.

here is how I did it's home:
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

& the inside of it's living quarters:
(there is nothing in it's bathroom except for a PVC tube)
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I feed mine 8 in 1 hedgie food mixed with purina cat food. He LOVES it! Jodi, how much do you feed yours a day? Grover would eat continuously if I let him.

Kay, I have a solid plastic wodent wheel for my hedgie. After awhile it started to make a gawd awful grinding noise but I put some vegetable oil on the grinding area and it worked out fine. I think the wheel was $20 plus shipping and handling from Martin's Cages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Scarlette! can it go a few days without a wheel while waiting for it to arrive? I did pick up a very small bag of Purina Ca food "senior" formula (it was the highest in protein & lowest in fat) while at walmart today... I figured that would at least get me through till I could find the cat lovers soul or a better quality food.

should I keep dry food out for him at all times??

( I forgot to mention the size of the containers... the main house is 90 qts & the bathroom is 60 qts.) they just don't seem big enough?? maybe I am just used to spoiling my animals

Tags
cat food, chicken soup, corn cob, corn cob bedding, dry food, guinea pig, kiln dried, kitten food, litter box, litter train, litter training, pet store, pet stores, pine bedding, potty train, wire cage