Leak proof water bottle? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Question Leak proof water bottle?

What brand of water bottle do y'all use? Have you found one that doesn't leak?? We've bought 3 in the last 6 months and they all leak! This first one we had, the Lixit one, didn't leak for about a year but then started doing it really bad.

We have this one: Lixit
and this one: Oasis
and this one: Critter Canteen

All of these claim to not leak - but they do!! I need to find one that really doesn't leak...

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I use a Lixit bottle and haven't had any problems... it is a different style though

http://www.lixit.com/products/disp_prod.asp?id=352
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 12:37 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

I personally LOVE Edstrom water bottles. They don't have the ball/vaccume, so they shouldn't leak. Of 8 I've had only one leak and it was from an early batch that didn't get sealed right but they replaced it within 2 day for free (sorry, big long explanation b/c some people don't like em).
Also, if hedgies need the ball type water bottles, Lixit has a chinchilla bottle that I really like. They just seem to be a little more sturdy and I've had 3 with no leaks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 07:22 AM
I live in a Pigdom

I use water bowls. No leaks and if they happen to travel through the bowl a free foot wash. However that doesn't happen very much anymore. They are low crocks and I have been using them for a month now and they do not tip them over so I don't have wet liners.

Liners, well see I don't use conventional bedding, I have made them liners made from courderoy and fleece and switch it out every other day. Each cage has a set of 3 liners and my hogs love them. Makes their sleep and play all the more comfy and easier to walk on.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

I used a water bowl at first maybe I should just switch back to that. I hate to buy another water bottle only to have it leak!

Becki, where did you get the Edstrom products?

Scarlette, Cait, Teasels Mom - what do ya'll use?

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

www.agselect.com Free shipping too!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 12:54 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

I would definitely go with a valve style bottle as opposed to a ball bearing. I have had my valve bottles for over a year now and they have NEVER leaked...not even a drop. I use Siwa bottles but they are hard to find. Edstroms are great too.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I have always used ferplast bottles and they are fantastic! I didn't even know that leaking water bottles were a problem until I started to come to forums!lol I don't know if you guys have that make but I highly recommend it if you do.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Becki & Candice. I was wondering about the valve style...if it might be better. The bearing ones seem to work for awhile and then just wear out.

I will check out that link. And do a search for Siwa.

Thanks so much Becki & Candycane!!!

~ Jodi ~

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Playful Pup

Our hedgies all have ceramic bowls. I read somewhere that hedgies can chip a tooth on the bottles so being the paranoid hedgie mom that I am......
Most of our other critters are on bottles though. (so how come a hedgie can chip a tooth when others can't ) In fact our degu mommy has chewed through 5 bottles in the past week. I think its her personal protest at being put in an aquarium.

We find most of the bottles will leak but we fill them as full as possible then hold upright and give a squeeze. That seems to start a vacuum and usually stops the leaking.
Jess has Tessa the fert trained to come and immediately take a drink so it doesn't leak. It is a valve style that came in the Super Pet Ferret cage.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Playful Pup

OK, I just looked at a picture of the valve type and our ferret one is not that. The ball in it is spring loaded so I thought that meant it was a valve. I goofed
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Teasels Mom!

~ Jodi ~

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I use a plastic bowl for my hedgies water. I've never had a problem with him tipping it over and it's so much easier to clean than a water bottle.

I've also been using a ceramic bowl for my chins because they like to chew on the bottles. The last water bottle I bought for them lasted all of 5 minutes....but that's a whole different topic.

I use cheapie water bottles for my guinea pigs and I've only had one bad one.

Rhonda

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

If I do switch back to using a water bowl, I've got a nice heavy ceramic crock that I can use. (same as what his food is in - they came as a set).
Thanks Scarlette!

~ Jodi ~

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

Well, i use ones that are clear with a red end(the part with the nozze and you screw it off) and doesnt leak too much, but still leaks a bit...Sorry, cant remember the name.. but its the only one avail at my petstore..I did use a bowl that hooks onto the side for a while, but now with the coroplast i cant..I am looking for some nice ceramic bowls tho, becasue i like bowls better that bottles

Caitlin

Tags
guinea pig, water bowl