Litter and bedding question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Litter and bedding question

Ok! I need help from all you hedgie people! My friend and I went to a pet store last night and my friend picked up an impulse buy of a hedgehog. During the night the little hedgehog made noises that reminded my friend of a motorcycle and thus she has acquired the name Harley. She is sooooo cute!

Now, to my question. My friend asked me to inquire to the hedgie-knowledgable people about bedding and litter. She wants to litter train and I'm hearing yesterday's news is good for that. We don't know what to line the rest of the cage with, though. She thought about astro-turf but isn't really sure. What does everyone else think?

Also, food. The kid at the pet store recommended kitten food. She bought a bag of kitten food last night but shopped online today and ordered Mazuri (she had heard me rave about their chinnie food). Is their hedgie food good too?

Any other advice people want to throw out there is welcome too. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 07:41 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Hmmm, well first a hedgie's not a good impluse buy... but then pets are never good impulse buys, IMO.

You can use Yesterday's news, but astro turf is a no-no. Don't use cedar or regular pine (only use kiln dried). IMO the best litter is Cell-Sorb. You'll probably have to order it online but it's the best stuff that I've come across. You can also use Velux (they love it!) and it can be purchased affordably at Walmart or Target.

As for food, I would feed half hedgie food and half of a high quality kitten food (when they get older you may need to switch to a weight control cat food because hedgies have a tendancy to become obese). Chicken Soup for Cat Lovers is an awesome food and highly recommended from hedgie owners. You'll want a high protein & low fat food.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

She really wasn't a total impulse buy. She'd wanted a hedgehog prior to shopping at that store. She's a major animal lover (like me!!) and already has 2 birds.
Right now she's got fleece down on the cage with a paper towel little box. Thanks so much for the advice Jodi!

Tags
animal lover, cat food, chicken soup, high quality kitten food, kiln dried, kitten food, litter train, pet store