My brave Hedgie. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

My brave Hedgie.

I got a new home for my Albino hedgie Ron Jeremy. It's one of those wire dog kennels. My boyfriend and I were planning on remodeling it by taking the separater the kennel came with and making it a second story. Then we were going to line the inside with window screening. We had just begun the process last week and it was no where near ready for Ron. We did velcro fleece blanket around the bottom and covering the back, but that was it. This was still just the one floor. Monday night I was forced to put Ron into the new kennel on a count of my bf wanting to put his cichlids in the 90gal aquarium Ron was in. That aquarium didn't hold water as we quickly realized. And the previous aquarium was mysteriously leaking from the bottom. So the cichlids ended up moving from a 50gal down to a 40gal (which we were going to make a saltwater tank). In the process of my bf switching tanks and what-not, I rigged up Rons unfinished kennel by putting screen on the door and a small section of one of the sides (where his liter box was going). He was fine that night (he's still sleeping all day and playing while we're asleep). But Wed. morning my bf woke up to Ron just walkin around on the floor. He escaped his home somehow. I put him back in and sat and watched him for a few minutes. Eventually he reached up the side of the kennel just above the fleece (which isn't very high) and began to climb out through the bars. I didn't think that hedgies had hamster like capabilities to squeeze through, what I thought was a small opening! Unfortunately, his cage was placed on top of a dresser (standing about mid-thigh on me and I'm 5'8") Luckily Ron didn't look hurt or act hurt. So I put him back into his 90gal aquarium. My bf and I assumed that Ron must have fell behind the dresser since it was close to where he climbed out when I watched him. But it was a space just big enough for him to have the wall and the back of the dresser touching either side of him. And he must have been in a ball so his spines protected him a little. My bf did tell me that Ron must have been running around for a few hours because he found traces of his spines in the bathroom. All in all Ron Jeremy is okay. And I'm definitely finishing his cage completely before putting him back in there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Hello Earthling

Crazy little hedgie.

My hedgehog got out once and we found him under the book shelf. I had no clue he could squeeze through the bars.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

We finished his cage. But just to be sure we left the cage on the ground this time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wow, it sounds like he had quite an adventure! Glad he's ok and I'm sure he'll love his new cage now that it's finished.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats

Tags
brave, hedgehog, stories