New to all this! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Red face New to all this!

Hey!

I just registered to this awesome site! I'm looking at getting a hedgehog. We have just made the cage for him/her. I have attached the pictures of our cage. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cage1.jpg (48.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg cage2.jpg (38.0 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hi and welcome!

I don't know to much about hedgehogs, but from here it looks nice.

Well I just thought I welcome you. I've only been here since the begining of june and I love it here! Enjoy and good luck with your hedgie!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Scarlette, Jodi, and Kay all have hedgehogs (as do others on the forum) I am sure one of them can tell you if the cage is okay. I think it looks nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 03:54 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

I don't think the shelf is a very good idea, they will fall off of it, if it isn't enclosed. What is the bottom of the cage?

Our two each have a 116 sterilite container. They only cost $10 or less from Walmart.

You are going to need to get a solid track wheel too, they run all night long.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I have to agree with Catherine on this one... a wheel is a must! and the shelf concerns me a little. Your efforts are remarkable though and you certainly deserve credit. However I too agree that a sterilte container is the best way to go, as they are very inexspensive & have walls high enough that they can't climb over or up... Of course the more room the better but to be very honest I would take that shelf out & consider making the cage a little bigger.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

first off, the shelf is attach. This didn't cost us much money cause it's all stuff we had at home. I'm going to make some changes on this i have gotten good ideas from some people. Plus i'm still in the prosses of buying stuff for little hedgie, we are not getting him/her till Aug.

Here are my plans for changes: Lowering the shelf down a bit. Also going to put linoliun(sp?) on the flooring so that in the mean time that it's being potty train it will be better to clean.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 10:47 PM
I live in a Pigdom

How big is it? I can't tell by the picture alone, and all hedgies love their wheels. I have 2 hedgies that will not live without them. I was wondering if a wheel will even fit in there. Can you measure it if it's not to much of a problem?

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 01:43 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Hi! Congrats on getting a hedgie soon!

A wheel is a MUST for a hedgie. They have a tendancy to become obese and it's very important that they have a wheel to excercise on.

IMO, Lowering the shelf is a great idea but you can leave it - hedgies love to climb! I would make the ladder at not such an angle though so it's easier to climb.

But, the cage overall looks much too small for a hedgie. Sorry, jmo.

And is that flat white thing a food or water bowl? He/she will tip that in a second flat! You'll need to get a crock type of food bowl - they work the best. The small ones are cheap.

Linoleum in a great idea.... that indoor/outdoor carpet would be permenently pee stained in one week!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. It's great that you're getting prepared and trying to figure out everything you'll need!

~ Jodi ~

Tags
food bowl, potty train, water bowl