Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

new to hedgehog

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Evalena 
#1 ·
i am adopting a hedgie. i need info. like wats a good cage? good foods? would it like a friend?

#2 ·
Why are you adopting another exotic animal when you JUST had a rabbit die because you don't have a vet that can treat it? -- hedgehogs are even more exotic. You ALSO complained about unfriendly your rabbits were -- hedgehogs are even less friendly and typically don't like being held or petted at all.

Plus, you know, you don't seem to know anything about them like their basic diet or social needs.

#4 ·
Agreed. Hedgehogs also have even more expensive vet bills than rabbits do too- They must be sedated just for a checkup, so you already talking $100 + there.
Ive been wanting a hedgie (I already have a great exotic animal vet that treats them), and they need a cage that is larger than 12"x24",and eat high quality cat food (I dont remember the %s at fat, protien, ect that they need though), special hedgie food, and live food. They arent social either. If you did 15 minutes of research you would already know that though.

#6 ·
i am totally done with this site. i feel like i am not getting any respect here. i will no longer be sharing any pics. good bye

#7 ·
Enjoy the drama you think you left. I know you will be back to check reactions on this thread if not others. People here aren't disrespecting you, it seems a lot of the time you want attention for neglect of your animals. Proper vet care is essential in caring for and maintaing pets and after the death of one rabbit you wanted to get another right away without consulting the definite assurance of having a rabbit savvy vet for the future. Now you want a hedgehog without doing any research and people here do not agree with it. We believe any animal should be properly researched before getting to ensure it's health and well being.
I'm sorry if you cannot see the reality here. Enjoy wasting your money on animals which could die in your care.

#8 ·
I just dont think its fair to the hedgehog, or any exotic animal you would get. You dont have an exotic vet, so even an illness that could usually be easily treated would be a death sentence for your hedgie. Females are also prone to reproductive cancer... If your vet cant even figure out rabbits, how on earth do you expect them to spay a hedgehog?!

Your rabbit just died because you didnt find a decent vet. Are you really going to get an even more exoctic animal, knowing that if it gets ANY illness, it cant get treatment?

#9 ·
It seems like it, since prior to this she wanted to get sugar gliders, of all things.

(I notice her other rabbit seems to have died as well. It's kind of ... convenient that she complained about how much she didn't like them and that they weren't fun and then a couple of months later they're both gone.)

#11 ·
I noticed that too.
Im hoping that the fact she couldnt find a good vet wasnt just "convenient" too... Honestly, the "The vet knew what was wrong but wouldnt tell me" sounded pretty strange. IDK about other vets, but the vet I go to would never do that... They genuinly care about animals, and even end up doing alot of stuff for free.

#16 · (Edited)
Yup. See why we dont think she should get a hedgie? ):

To me at least, it didnt even seem like her rabbit was that horribly sick. Im no vet, but by her discription (she said there was white stuff or something like that in its pee, and that it was lethargic) it just sounded like her rabbit had bladder sludge. It was a pretty strange situation...

#17 ·
omg thats horrible you guys. D: i just got a hedgehog, and they are sure not cuddly at first unless your really patient; and i learned about that on the first 2 days of having her! (shes on the computer with me right now, sleeping) I just hope for that poor hedgehogs sake that she gets a pet rock or soemthing instead; they dont need vets attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.