new to hedgehog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

new to hedgehog

i am adopting a hedgie. i need info. like wats a good cage? good foods? would it like a friend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Samara View Post
i am adopting a hedgie. i need info. like wats a good cage? good foods? would it like a friend?
Why are you adopting another exotic animal when you JUST had a rabbit die because you don't have a vet that can treat it? -- hedgehogs are even more exotic. You ALSO complained about unfriendly your rabbits were -- hedgehogs are even less friendly and typically don't like being held or petted at all.

Plus, you know, you don't seem to know anything about them like their basic diet or social needs.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Hello Earthling

I use to have a hedgehog and I can tell you from experience that hedgehogs do not make good pets unless you have the time and money for food, vet care etc...

If you want a hedgehog you need to do MONTHS of research, find a good vet and check your by-laws and much more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM
is a little "special"

Agreed. Hedgehogs also have even more expensive vet bills than rabbits do too- They must be sedated just for a checkup, so you already talking $100 + there.
Ive been wanting a hedgie (I already have a great exotic animal vet that treats them), and they need a cage that is larger than 12"x24",and eat high quality cat food (I dont remember the %s at fat, protien, ect that they need though), special hedgie food, and live food. They arent social either. If you did 15 minutes of research you would already know that though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Bye....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

i am totally done with this site. i feel like i am not getting any respect here. i will no longer be sharing any pics. good bye
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Betta Bomb

Enjoy the drama you think you left. I know you will be back to check reactions on this thread if not others. People here aren't disrespecting you, it seems a lot of the time you want attention for neglect of your animals. Proper vet care is essential in caring for and maintaing pets and after the death of one rabbit you wanted to get another right away without consulting the definite assurance of having a rabbit savvy vet for the future. Now you want a hedgehog without doing any research and people here do not agree with it. We believe any animal should be properly researched before getting to ensure it's health and well being.
I'm sorry if you cannot see the reality here. Enjoy wasting your money on animals which could die in your care.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:48 PM
is a little "special"

I just dont think its fair to the hedgehog, or any exotic animal you would get. You dont have an exotic vet, so even an illness that could usually be easily treated would be a death sentence for your hedgie. Females are also prone to reproductive cancer... If your vet cant even figure out rabbits, how on earth do you expect them to spay a hedgehog?!

Your rabbit just died because you didnt find a decent vet. Are you really going to get an even more exoctic animal, knowing that if it gets ANY illness, it cant get treatment?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Rodentologist

It seems like it, since prior to this she wanted to get sugar gliders, of all things.

(I notice her other rabbit seems to have died as well. It's kind of ... convenient that she complained about how much she didn't like them and that they weren't fun and then a couple of months later they're both gone.)

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Everyone on here is trying to help.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 05:28 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
It seems like it, since prior to this she wanted to get sugar gliders, of all things.

(I notice her other rabbit seems to have died as well. It's kind of ... convenient that she complained about how much she didn't like them and that they weren't fun and then a couple of months later they're both gone.)

I noticed that too.
Im hoping that the fact she couldnt find a good vet wasnt just "convenient" too... Honestly, the "The vet knew what was wrong but wouldnt tell me" sounded pretty strange. IDK about other vets, but the vet I go to would never do that... They genuinly care about animals, and even end up doing alot of stuff for free.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Hunny Bunny

Hmm Idk either. Maybe this chick just got rid of the other bunny..? Oh yeah hi I'm new. A lil confused, what did this girl do??
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Hunny Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumble Hedgie View Post
Hmm Idk either. Maybe this chick just got rid of the other bunny..? Oh yeah hi I'm new. A lil confused, what did this girl do??
got rid as in surrendered it.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumble Hedgie View Post
She got bunnies, started complaining that they weren't cuddly and didn't like being picked up (which rabbits aren't), then her first rabbit got ill. She swore she'd been to multiple vets, each of which were rude or laughed at her, including the local SPCA. She eventually said she found a vet that would see the rabbit that was four hours away, but that the vet refused to tell her what was wrong with her bunny and then he died.

While he was ill, she posted asking on advice on sugar gliders, which it was pointed out are even more exotic and difficult to deal with (and thus, even harder to find a vet for). Here, a few weeks after her bunny's death, she's asking for information on hedgehogs, which are also more "exotic" (in terms of finding a knowledgeable vet) and even less cuddly and in general also don't like being picked up.

I hope that she did rehome her other bun instead of having lost it, but it would be really strange to rehome an animal and then list it in your signature under "R.I.P." next to your other, deceased rabbit. Both of these rabbits were fairly young, as well.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Hunny Bunny

wow. :/ thats messed.