New Hedgehog, and new to hedgehogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

New Hedgehog, and new to hedgehogs

Hi,
Me and my husband have many wonderful pets that we've gotten from friends and family as rescues or unwanted critters mostly, but most of the time we had a chance to research and find out what we were getting into and set there home up before they come to us. Well my husband has a friend who has a hedgehog that they were either dropping off here today. And it didn't leave us much time for researching. I haven't had one before, but we have been looking at websites and posts on here to make sure we can give our new little hedgehog friend the best home and life possible.
Shes in a pink Zoo Zone cage I guess, not quite sure the size yet, hopefully nice and large, and has a small wooden house in the cage.
They've been using blankets for bedding, they have 3 that they change three times a week. They tried paper and wood shavings for bedding but said she never liked it, and seemed happy with being able to make a bed out of the blankets.
She does have a bed and was litter trained but they let the poor little things litter pan get so full that it started messing else where and will probably have to be retrained (which hopefully isn't a big deal, we had to do that with my Chins also).
Shes on a food called Fancy Pet, which I guess has a strong smell (one of the reasons there getting rid of her). I've called around and theres not many other places that carry hedgehog food around here, but theres a place we drive 2 hours to, to get our food for our Candy Cane Corn Snake and I would think they might have some there. Is there any certain brands I should keep an eye out for? I know just like any other animal theres probably things I should be looking for on the label for a healthy well balanced food. And I've heard she can eat meal worms if shes nevr had them before is it still safe? We have a big colony of them that we grow ourselves for our Leopard Gecko.
We have a three good size Chinchilla balls and I'm thinking thats probably a good size ball for her to run around in?
They say shes terrified of water bottles, wouldn't go near it at all so they use dishes for her.
And thats baout all the information I have so far. If theres anything you would like to add to help us make this a perfect forever home for this dear little thing, we'd love any and all help.
Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Hello Earthling

Congrats!! I haven't had a hedgehog in a while but I can try an help.

You want a high quality food, I don't have a brand name though. Mealworms are good tasty snack.

I wouldn't use a ball, instead I would make a pen for her to play in.

The blankets are good. You can make a snuggle pouch for her to sleep in.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't have hedgehogs but I researched them a lot when I was considering adopting one.

Don't worry about finding an actual hedgehog food, a lot of the ones I've seen for sale are crap anyways. A high-quality cat food is going to be better than most hedgehog foods. And yup, you can feed mealworms, they eat insects in the wild .

I would try to let her run around in a pen or hedgehog-proofed room rather than a ball.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Newborn Pup

Congrats!

I just feed my Hedgehog "Ultra Brand Select Hedgehog Food", thats what they were feeding him at the pet store and its only 8 dollars.

I would suggest getting a wheel, my Hedgehog is a lot happier since i got him a wheel, hes on it all the time.

Also wear a old shirt, that you dont need, for a couple days and place it in his wooden hide, that way she will recognize your scent.

Good luck!

Tags
first hedgehog, first time owners, hedgehog