New hedgie owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Question New hedgie owner

I got my first hedgie two days ago. I named her Thistle cause it seemed kind of fitting lol..but i have a question about food. I read up on hedgies, but mainly listened to the peopel at our local petstore cause they generally know alot about everyone of their animals. Well, they were wrong on some things. One, they told me to use a water bottle and when I put it in she had NO idea how to use it. so I put a tiny bowl of water int heir insted. Second, they told me to use "Exotic Nutriant hedgehog complete." But everyone on other forums said to use catfood, a high quality kind low/diet. Should I switch her to that [gradually] with in the next couple weeks? I wish I would have found these forums before since the employees didnt seem to know what they were talking about. [I trusted them because I got a number of animals from them and they seemed to know alot about them]. Second, it stays between 72-75 in my house. and Im getting a heating pad for Thistle today. That'll be okay right? I generally know about all the care of a hedgie, its just those two questions I've been wondering about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 09:46 PM

Yes, I would mix the food so she won't end up with the runs. Ours chewed the cord on the heating pad, so just make sure she can't get to it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 08:48 AM

Congrats!! She is a cutie and I love the name Thistle.
I would agree with the high quality low fat cat food. But, I would probably choose a mix of 3 or 4 and gradually add it to the hedgehog mixture. The problem is that no one really knows what a hedgehog needs in their diet other than the protein and fat ratios that are recommended so I have always went with the thought that if I provide a variety there is more of a chance of the hedgie getting all the nutrients it needs. I would also stick with the water bowl as bottles have caused chipped teeth and the way the hedgehog has to crick its neck to drink from a bottle is unnatural and not good for them. I would also supplement with boiled chicken and turkey, hard boiled eggs, some fruits and veggies and mealworms. Anything that you can feed a human toddler can be fed to a hedghog for the most part. No nuts and stay away from sugary treats or raisins and dried fruit that could cause choking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't have hedgehogs...I just wanted to say congrats and yours is really cute!!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Title Thief Victim

I also don't have hedgies...but Congrats..shes soo tiny!

and

to PT!

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 10:00 AM

Aww! I just got a hedgie myself. Yours is so small!

>^.^<
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I love it

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:36 PM

I'd love a hedgie!! Congrats on yours she's so cute and I love the name!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

thanks everyone

And I started putting her on royal canine 37 light and blue buffulo light.

And yeah she is a tiny girl! I got her cause she was the smallest in the litter. Only bad thing, I have a ferret cage I was gonna put her in, but she was so tiny she got through the bars O_O!! So I have to keep her ina smaller cage until she gets big enough to not poke out lol.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:46 PM

aww! Is that just the cutest thing! I have never seen a hedgehog so small. I wish they sold hedgehogs near me... I would love one!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:54 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

congrats on the new addition sorry i can't help with your hedgie problems as i've never had the experience of owning one.

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:47 AM

hello! what are you using for flooring???

Hi - congrats on your new hedgie, we just got ours last week we are doing the dried cat food as well, everything i read said that the "hedgehog" food wasn't very worth it. what are you using for flooring, i don't like the pine, i'm afraid the scent is bothering her. do you have any suggestions? thank you! stacie
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:40 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by slforrest View Post
Hi - congrats on your new hedgie, we just got ours last week we are doing the dried cat food as well, everything i read said that the "hedgehog" food wasn't very worth it. what are you using for flooring, i don't like the pine, i'm afraid the scent is bothering her. do you have any suggestions? thank you! stacie
Pine is definitely a no no for bedding along with cedar as both contain phenols that damage the respiratory system and cause changes in the liver. You have to be very careful about bedding with hedgehogs because a lot of beddings get stuck in "private places" on them.

Here's some information on good bedding: Pet Info Packets :: Hedgehogs

Visit my pet care website at:
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Playful Pup

Congrats on your new hedgie! Here's some great sites for information on their care including feeding:

Pet Info Packets :: Hedgehogs
The Hedgehog Welfare Society
Hedgehog World - A community for African Pygmy Hedgehog Owners and Breeders

Visit my pet care website at:
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 PM

As far as new hedgie foods out there. Sunscription Sunseed has come out with a decent hedgehog formula. My hedgie always had trouble with cat foods. the last one i tried with him, had the "perfect" balance, and he was left with soft stools even after he should have adjusted. So take care when you choose your food, not all hedgies need the same balance. I did switch mine to Sunseed brand hedgie formula and he's doing really well, It's made with more insecty type things, so it's a little closer to their natural diet than cat food. So if it's available in your area, it's definitely worth checking out.

Tags
cat food, dried fruit, heating pad, royal canin, water bowl