Nutrition - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Nutrition

So, I finally got around to switching Newman over to a higher quality kibble (he was on Science diet..bleh...and i switched to natrual balance) About a month or two ago.
He had no trouble switching foods taste wise, actually even when I tried mixing food he wouldn't touch the old stuff. Only now that he's on the "better" food (I say "better" because i'm thinking natural balance really isn't that much better) He's got very soft green stools, and I think it's probably been that way since the switch. When he was on Science diet Light, he had normal healthy looking poos. I'm going to do some more research online, and see if I can find anything better, I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with a "higher quality" kibble not working as well as low quality foods. He really does not get much variety in his diet as he is an extraordinarily picky eater, as hard as I try. What do you guys feed your hedgies? The only "hedgehog food" available in my area is the brown's stuff which is no good...

Oh yeah, nothing else seems wrong, he plays like normal eats like normal, doesn't seem to be overweight or anything, he's just got loose poos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 05:52 PM

Hi! I'm new to this forum but not to hedgies.

I feed my 6mo male hedgie a mix of Royal Canin Indoor Lite 37, Purina ONE Natural Blends, CSFTCLS Lite, Science Diet Adult Lite, Natural Balance, and I've recently added Royal Canin BabyCat because Inky is slightly underweight. (too thin to show at the moment)

Many people recommend Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. (aka CSFTCLS) The Lite and Senior versions are the best.

Some other good, high quality & low fat brands are Blue Buffalo, Solid Gold, Newman's Own, Eagle Pack, and Nutro Natural Choice.

I've tried to add a pdf of a very good food list from a friend on HedgehogCentral. I hope it shows up...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf index[1].pdf (39.0 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

lol, thats a big mix!
Vita craft Sunseed came out with a hedgehog diet which is made up of more hedgie type foods, like meal worms, and shell fish. So it's closer to a natural hedgie diet than cat food. Now that he's on that he's been healthier than ever.
Welcome to the site the hedgie department is not real active, i wish it were though.

Tags
cat food, chicken soup, meal worms, nutro natural choice, royal canin