Is oreo too hissy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as oreos_my_hedgie

Is oreo too hissy?

hey! So I got Oreo in November from a very bad pet store, where he was strees, neglected, and all that horrible stuff. I'm jst wondering if he's a little sensitive and tempermental from all of that. When i get him out of bed he hisses a little and sticks out his spikes for a second or two, and then calms down. He's gotton better. When i first got him he would go into a complete ball and make mean sounds. He just gives a little hissyness for a second now.

He hisses and sticks out his forehead whenever there is a loud sound or movement, or another scent besides myself. Is this normal? I read in one of these treads that someone's hedgie comes over when she opens the cage and calls her. i can't ever imagine oreo doing that. If he is a little too grumpy, and shy can I help him? He's fine around me, but everthing else scares him. When he crunches his food he puts his forehead quills up too. i just want to help him be less of a scaredy hog.(unless this is normal) thanx!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I've had my hedgie for 3 years now. Occasionally he will hiss, especially if there's a loud noise or he hears someone else's voice, or if someone tries to pick him up without letting him sniff them first.

I try not to startle him if he's sleeping and I want to pick him up. I will talk softly to him to wake him up, then I put my hand in front of his face so he can smell me and know that it's me.

So, yes, he sounds fairly normal to me!

Rhonda

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

yay, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Adolescent Pup

yup thats sounds like my Briar, he hisses occanionally. Noah on the other hand is a ball of hissing quill he is gettting a little bit better but he hisses most of the time when i have him out !

Julie

1 Cat (Jasmin)
3 Mice (Chloe, Zoey, Ruby)
2 Hedgies ( Briar and Noah)
Tons of Fish (Miracle, Pete, Champion, Moe, Joe)
Snails (Snailer, and friends)
2 Goats ( Amelia and Sage)
We miss you Ebony, Erin, Gracie, Gerri Rest In Peace
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

yay, oreo isn't messed up! lol, not that it matters!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 08:35 PM

try putting a piece of your clothin in his cage with him that has been worn all day that will help him/her familiarize your scent and therfore become most use to you.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

He's much better now. He only hisses if he's startled or if the cat comes to take a sniff. He doesn't mind the dogs. i never leave them alone though. Our sheltie is afraid of him and my poodle gets really jealous. lol

Tags
pet store