Outside Precautions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as oreos_my_hedgie

Outside Precautions?

Now that it's getting nice and warm the hedgies can go out to play! Oreo's been out once and it was his first time ever! So, he of coarse annointed with the grass, plenty of times! lol

I know to watch him so he doesn't climb, and he always will have food and water, but is there anything else to be careful of? Oh, and i make sure there is both shade and sun, for his comfort. Is wind an issue, and might he dig, and burrow into the ground? Are any of the bugs an issue? Can he eat them all? ya know, that kind of stuff. Thanx-amanda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

I think that you have to worry about him eating bugs, if they come from outside you never know if they might have gotten into some kind of fertilizer or poisen. And make sure that your grass has not been treated with anything ! good luck and have fun outside!

Julie

1 Cat (Jasmin)
3 Mice (Chloe, Zoey, Ruby)
2 Hedgies ( Briar and Noah)
Tons of Fish (Miracle, Pete, Champion, Moe, Joe)
Snails (Snailer, and friends)
2 Goats ( Amelia and Sage)
We miss you Ebony, Erin, Gracie, Gerri Rest In Peace
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

thanx!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Newborn Pup

Make sure your neighbors don't spray their lawns. Chemicals can be blown over.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

ah, i hadn't thought of that! thanx! Unfortunately, it snowed yesterday! is he ever gonna get to go out and play! lol

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 01:40 AM
Newborn Pup

I'm sure you already know this, but it's worth pointing out again. Hedgehogs can be very fast critters. Your hedgehog can go from right next to you to across the lawn in the blink of an eye. You may want to consider using some type of cage or gate that your hedgehog cannot get out of.

Kelly Sosik-Hamor

|
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

i do have a short gate. He hasn't ever tried to climb anything, but i keep an eye on him. I thought hedgies were fast but oeo has never gone faster than a walk before. he's fairly young, and hasn't really played in the sun yet, so as soon as it gets above 70 here, i'll see what he can do.thanx

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Newborn Pup

I take my Hamish outside when the weather is nice all the time. I carry him down to the river here in his travel cage and let him loose. I keep an eye on him all the time. He can't go very fast, or at least not fast enough to get away from me. LOL I just make sure I take some water, food, towels and some toilet paper rolls for him to play with and he has a blast. I just follow him around with a towel in case I have to pick him up quickly. Oh, and I also have to answer tons of questions from the passers-by that stop to watch him play!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Newborn Pup

I can't wait for the warm weather to roll back around I know my girls loved when I let them out in the evenings on the balcony (I set up their play pen with a few tubes, wheels and other toys) Also green hedgies are the cutest

Double S Hedgehogs:

PWF:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Now that i'm in texas he can finnally go out and play. It was 80 today. Back in oregon it was 17 degrees and snowing. the weather sure is nice in texas.