Picky hedgehog needs more fiber! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Zoo Keeper

um hamsters are also omnivorous and it is fine for them not only grazing vegetarians eat hay not saying hedgehogs can have it but no need to attack me especially with a lack of facts

Here is a list of most of the commercially prepared "Hedgehog Foods":
1. Spike's Delight Hedgehog foods (all formulas)
2. Sunseed Hedgehog food
3. Brisky's Hedgehog foods
4. 8in1 Ultra Hedgehog food
5. L'Avian Hedgehog food
6. Hedgehog Complete by Exotic Nutrition

7. Pretty Pets hedgehog food
8. Zoofare insectavore
9. Mazuri insectavore
10. Brown's Zoo Vital
11. Vitakraft

Now the first six on the list are ok to feed an African Hedgehog. Most experts agree
to mix several types of high quality, high protein, low fat cat foods / Hedgehog foods. It is also recommended to feed a variety of treats such as live insects, lean cooked meat, fresh fruit, and vegetables. So let's discuss why the last five products on the list should be avoided in African Hedgehog diets. These products may be great for other types of hedgehog but for African Hedgehogs they are not a good choice. Pretty Pet's hedgehog food contains very little nutritional content. It may be ok as a treat but should be considered "junk food". Zoofare and Mazuri contain artificial preservatives and/or softening agents which have been linked to all kinds of health problems. Brown's Zoo Vital and Vitakraft actually may be very good for European Hedgehogs but contain ingredients which are extreme health
risks to African Hedgehogs. Things like seeds and raisins are choking hazards and have resulted in African Hedgehog deaths. The best way to insure you are choosing a healthy African Hedgehog diet is to learn the nutritional requirements of the African Hedgehog. And then READ THE LABEL of the food you are considering feeding your hedgie. Knowledge is the key when choosing a food to add to your
African Hedgehog's diet.

Our hedgehogs get hedgehog food for about 50% of their diet, insects for 20%, cat food for 20%, and fruits and veggies as treats for 10%. For fruits they like bananas, apples, mangos, etc. Veggies: carrots, squash, corn, etc

I'd try coating something with high fiber with something they like

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Last edited by Elliriyanna; 04-15-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Rodentologist

Actually our vet advises against it. Their digestive systems aren't designed to process effectivey (so they don't receive any real nutritional benefit from it) and it poses a risk to them in the form of injuring the cheek pouches when they try to hoard it. Unfortunately, just because an animal eats something or even likes it doesn't make it nutritionally appropriate or safe for them.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 PM
is a little "special"

I don't think Jennicat was attacking you, Elliriyanna. Hammies are built differently than hedgies though: Hamsters have rodent teeth, obviously, but hedgies have sharp more cat-like teeth, so hay wouldn't be very appropriate for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Last edited by Jess; 04-15-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Zoo Keeper

No I was just saying hay is not only for vegetarians. Have you tried other cat foods or filler free small breed dog food? though the protein levels are different. Also apparently they make commercial chinchilla diets

Proud Mommy to-

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Betta Bomb

My sister's cat used to eat hay -_- spud-head he is though
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
No I was just saying hay is not only for vegetarians. Have you tried other cat foods or filler free small breed dog food? though the protein levels are different. Also apparently they make commercial chinchilla diets
I know it's only only "for" vegetarians. As I clarified, a wide variety of animals can eat it, but hay is primarily roughage fiber -- that is, grazing animals have been evolved to break it down effectively and get the few nutrients in it that are available (which is why rabbits and guinea pigs are cecotropes -- they literally have to digest it twice to manage any nutrients from it).

For animals that aren't evolved to digest this nutrient poor roughage, it basically goes in one end and out the other. In terms of nutrition, you might as well be feeding them styrofoam.

I'm not sure why you're offended that people are contradicting your advice when you first admit you know nothing about hedgehogs. The chinchilla food you suggest is also primarily hay and not appropriate for hedgehogs.

Look at it this way, guinea pigs also need protein. You would never suggest feeding them cat food because it's full of meat -- which they aren't designed to digest. All protein, fiber, etc, is not created equal. People need fiber too but nobody is suggesting you chow down on hay.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Zoo Keeper

I put a list of hedgehog foods not chinchilla foods

I meant to say commercial hedgehog foods I made a typo. I was prob reading something about Chinchilla sand we've all done that.

Proud Mommy to-

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Thanks everyone but I FOUND A HAPPY BALANCE for little (or should I say semi-chubby) Izzie!!!

Most cat foods (which is what I feed her) have about 3% or 5% max crude fiber, which is healthy and normal for healthy and normal cats.

There are however weight loss foods and HAIRBALL help foods out there for cats too, which have more fiber to help do what they claim to do!

Interestingly, the highest fiber content came from a hairball help cat food instead of a weight control food... it had 10% crude fiber. This was the highest percentage I could find within the appropriate foods for Izzie (no kitty food with seafood, etc).

So I spent a pretty penny and got Izzie Science Diet Indoor with extra fiber for hairballs.. It's not for kittens so the food is a little bit bigger, But I watched her crunch away at it and now she prefers this food to the other foods! I also feed her Blue Buffalo and Iams Kitten. She has a great variety, which now includes FIBER!!!!!!

I hate to discuss poops, but her system has already adjusted and she is pooping like a champion. She used to have slightly mushy poops due to lack of fiber, but now they are nice big brown and not mushy at all...Makes cleanup easier too!!

Now, How do I get my hedgehog to stop pooping and peeing in her wheel?? hahaha

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

FOr some reason, I did not see all the posts about other foods.

I keep reading that commercial hedgehog foods are not good.. for whatever reason, I want to err on the side of caution and not accidentally feed her something that will make her fatter, make her tummy upset, or that might get stuck in the roof of her mouth. As per the internet experts, no one agrees on an okay hhog food for african pygmies (that I can see) So I'm staying with bugs and cat food.

I really really really want her to eat fruits and veggies. But honestly it's getting annoying cutting up something for her, and it just goes to waste. Many people say, some hedgehogs are just so picky that they refuse anything but what they are used to. Despite the fact that she probably would love bananas or berries or cilantro, she just refuses to try them.

I hope the Science Diet is appropriate.. It was very high fiber, but also has chicken byproduct meal.. can't seem to win. ugh!

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Zoo Keeper

For my kitten I am going to be using Blue buffalo it has a great ingredient list you may want to take a look at it.

Proud Mommy to-

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
For my kitten I am going to be using Blue buffalo it has a great ingredient list you may want to take a look at it.
Yes, I chose Blue to be part of Izzie's diet because of the completeness of the nutrients. If it's that good for cats, then ****, must be good for hhogs too.

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Zoo Keeper

I thought you said you were using science diet.

Proud Mommy to-

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinypixiexoxo View Post
I also feed her Blue Buffalo and Iams Kitten. She has a great variety, which now includes FIBER!!!!!!

She said she was feeding Iams and Blue Buffalo earlier.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Zoo Keeper

Oh sorry I missed that ...

Proud Mommy to-

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Resident Zoologist

Although Erinaceids are omnivorous, they are mainly insectivorous, so higher protein, very low fat, as well as some fruits, etc (try to be as locality-specific as possible). Earthworms and grubs are an excellent choice for the former part of the diet.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

Tags
diet, feeding, hedgehog