Pondering a hedge hog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Pondering a hedge hog

I have been recently researching hedge hogs and i was wondering what king of wheel they like to use... i have a 15 in rat wheel that i was hoping to use sence my rats just pile bedding in it and dont use it... i was also wondering about what people use for cages, my friend used to use storage plastic containers and they seamed to work good

i was also wondering how much they normally cost, the closest breeder i found is a few hours away and i dont know if they are just like woops our hedgy had babies lets sell for 130-150

i think i will go to the swap meet coming up sence they normally have them every year and have some to pick from.

thanks

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

oh and i was wondering if i could keep one on a tank topper? its a 10 gal with a tank topper. or if its better to have them in a one level

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 07:44 AM

A bucket wheel is the best wheel for a hedgehog. The ones with bars in them and across them are very dangerous. They can catch their toes in the slots and get hurt with the cross bars getting on and off and sometimes they tip over.
I think the large sterilite bins with ventilation holes drilled is the best and cheapest housing for a hedgehog. A tank topper? Is that glass. If it is a glass aquarium it would not have enough ventilation and 10 gal is not near enough room.
$130-150 sounds about right for a hedgehog from a breeder.
Please make sure you do alot of research before purchasing a hedgehog to make sure you can give it the housing, food and temperature requirements it needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

ok this is the wheel i have http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2047891&Ne=2, and i am doing lots of research before getting one. i plan on giving it the best home possible

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

a tank topper is a wire cage that sits on top of a glass aquarium, it probably wouldnt work for a hedge hog well. there isnt enough space for the giant wheel i have anyway

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I had a hedgie. They're neat little animals. I used a huge, clear sterilite container for his home and I think the type of wheel was called a wodent wheel. I'll look and post a link if I can find one for you.

Rhonda

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Yep, this is what I had...and I think I ordered it from Martin's Cages.
Martin's Cages Inc. - The source for all your pet cage needs.

My little guy used to run marathons in his wheel at 3am every morning.

Rhonda

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle
ok this is the wheel i have http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2047891&Ne=2, and i am doing lots of research before getting one. i plan on giving it the best home possible
I think that wheel would be fine, but you might have to anchor it so it does not tip over. Some have attached them to the side of the cage vs. balancing on the stand.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:49 PM

Well I dont know anything about hedgehogs honestly, but here are some links to hedghog stuff.
Hedgehog Central

Hedgehog homepage

Tags
wire cage