Temperature - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Angry Temperature

What temperature do you keep the room that your hedgie lives in?

We all know they need to stay warm... but do you do anything for additional heat? Do you use a room heater or a heating pad?

The room that Louie's cage is in also has Toby's crate where he sleeps at night. Since we like to sleep with it a little cooler at night, we keep a electric heater (with no teflon of course!) in the room. We also have a heating pad under Louies cage where his igloo is. He seems to like it as we see him splatting quite often! We keep it on low.

I was just wondering if there are any other ideas out there for heating alternatives? Does anyone use full spectrum lighting for their hedgie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I have my hedgie in my room. I have his cage set up so it overhangs the heat register a bit. If he's cold, I'll find him curled up under his blanket on the end with the heat. When he gets too warm, he drags his blankie to the middle of the cage. It seems to work out pretty well for us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 08:20 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Widget is also in my bedroom. In the summer it is the warmest room in the house, but can also be the coldest in the winter. I have a heating pad under one end of her home where her igloo is. She also has her blankie in there & I NEVER see her sleep away from her blankie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarlette
he drags his blankie to the middle of the cage
How cute is that?!? Have you ever busted him while he was moving it??
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 08:54 AM

I use a broad spectrum light in our hedgies room which also happens to be my bedroom. The windows are west facing so at this time of year do not get much direct light.
We have 6 hedgies and have a digital thermometer in each cage. I have found that two identical cages sitting side by side can have a temperature variance of 2 degrees. Now that the cold weather is here I use a ceramic heater on the lowest setting and it keeps the room about 75.
Heating pads work great when you have one or two cages. Actually we were using 1 pad per two cages end to end and it worked well. Now that we have 6....well the heater is far more efficient.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Yes, I have watched him dragging his blanket to the middle of the cage! He pulls at it with his mouth until he gets it exactly where he wants it.

Rhonda

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

How cute Scarlette!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 11:06 PM

My hedgehogs have their own room, with their own thermostat controlled heater. They prefer it at about 76 degrees, any lower than that my old girls start trying to hibernate. :-P
Becca

Tags
heating pad