Training (disciplin) a hedgehog? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Question

I asked in a purely hedgehog forum how to train or disciplin a hedgehog, in my family even the animals aren't aloud to do certain things like bite or be vicious towards the people. I've owned rats for a while and they were sweeties but I had to disciplin them from biting, and I found that all was needed was to scold them. But the other forum I had asked had told me not to disciplin a hedgehog and that all you need to do is understand and love them. Do you guys agree? If not or even if so, what is your suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 11:13 PM

Yes, I do agree with the other forum that disciplining a hedgehog will have a negative effect. Scolding will not work with a hedgie. You need to keep in mind that even if you've scolded or disciplined other pets, that doesn't mean it will work will all types of pets. Hedgies are not the same as dogs or cats. A hedgie is one type of pet that it will not work with. JMO
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 10:15 AM

Disciplining will not work (jmo). I have a huffy hog, that will bite given the chance. So I have learned to live with him the way he is, I can look, but not touch unless he needs a bath or his cage cleaned. We have come to a peaceful arrangement in doing this and he allows me to see him when he is awake, if I sit and be still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 03:10 PM

Rats are intelligent, this is why they can be disciplined. Hedgehogs on the other hand, do not have the same level of cognitive ability as rats. Therefore, they can not be disciplined.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 09:29 PM

My hedgehog has never really needed to be disciplined. There have only two cases in which she bites. A) When my hands smell like food or B) She bit the vet but it was her third visit and the previous two she had been stuck with needles so she wasn't too keen about coming back. So, in both cases, I don't feel that discipline was necessary or would have been beneficial in any way. JMO
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:04 PM

I have read that if they have a biting problem you can lightly puff a little air in their face like some other pets. They don't like it. It makes them release their bite sometimes. I don't think you can really scold them either. Do you have a certain problem with your hedgie? Or just being curious? I know that you can sometimes potty train a hedgie if you wondering about that. lol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Curmudgeon

Negative reinforcement, or "discipline" as you call it, is the absolute WORST way to control any behavioral issue. It only works marginally well for more intelligent animals. However, there are ALWAYS better altenatives to it.

All you will do in the case of a hedghog is cause it to fear you. The thought of trying to discipline a small fragile animal like a hedgehog makes me fear for it's safey.

What you need to do, is understand the root cause of the behavior. For example, maybe your hedgehog wants to be put down. It gets so anxious to be put down that it bites you. You don't want to be bitten again, so you put it down. You have rewarded it for biting you.

If you try to discipline it, you may frighten, annoy or even hurt it, but eventually you will put it down ...so it is ultimately rewarded for biting. The other things you do (disciplining it) will only teach it to bite you sooner and harder so that the handling session will end quicker.

Something you said really bothers me....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratgirl_fk
in my family even the animals aren't aloud to do certain things like bite or be vicious towards the people.
Most animals react to certain situations in an instinctual way. They often bite when they are made uncomfortable or feel threatened or afraid. Sometimes they bite out of affection.... You cannot use "discipline" to stop these types of behaviors. If you think you can, you are wrong.

Your expectations sound unrealistic. Animals aren't people and they aren't members of your family. If you have a problem with things like that, you probably shouldn't consider getting animals like hedgehogs, snakes, etc ...that occasionally bite.

Get an aquarium, or something along those lines. (but no Piranahs!!)

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 11:43 AM

Wow, I think Mygala put it very well and I agree 100%.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:43 PM

Well put mygala! My hedgie oreo bit when i first got him. he was sick, so i think that may have had to do with it, and I think i may have seemed tasty to him. I found that he would first lick me onve or twce before biting. When he started to lick i took what he was licking away. That stopped the biting. Also he bites when getting comfy in a spot. I think its just part of burrowing and making his bed. He only does this to is bedding but occationally he'll get me with the bedding. I just have to tough it out and usually a gentle puff of air will make him release, like i mentioned earlier.

Tags
potty train