Truffle's bad week - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
I live in a Pigdom

Unhappy Truffle's bad week

Tuesday night while I was getting 2 new rescue pigs situated in the rescue/hedgie room, I turned and looked at Truffle, he was sorta trying to get my attention as he was showing me his face (he never, ever shows me his face unless he's in the tub). I thought something looked funny so I got closer and he didn't ball up which is not normal, and I looked and lo and behold there was blood on his face. So I carefully look without touching or making any sudden moves or unwise noises and I see something is amiss with his left eye. Since it looked bad but was not dripping blood all over the place I decided to wait til the next morning when my vet was open to bring him in.

We get to the vet and I "show" the vet my concern (by rubbing certain quills I can make him open up enough to see his face, while he huffs and pops) and yep it looked ugly. The vet brings him in back and puts him under to get a better look and his eye had prolapsed and ruptured and needed removal. So I left him there and the surgery was performed and I was sent home with no after surgery instructions (sorta pissed me off), antibiotics, and told to keep him calm. Okay, I do that to the best of my ability and start his meds the next day. They checked and saw no tumor behind the eye to have pushed it out, so we don't know why it prolapsed.

This morning, as I was administering his antibiotic, I notice a LUMP in his mouth (at first I thought it was his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth) on his right side! So I call my vet and the hedgie knowledgable vet is not in today, so I call the vet they referred me to. I bring him in, they anesthetize him, (I get to watch the whole procedure! How cool is that!) and I see that this thing is as large as my pinky nail! YIKES! So I tell them to get it out of there, and they use laser surgery so there is less bleeding (but it STINKS). They also removed one of his molars (so you guessed it, the tooth fairy will be bringing him extra mealworms when he can eat hard foods again) as it was loose.

This poor guy has had 2 surgeries in less than 3 days. He is now on pain meds to which means my neighbor has to come up as I don't mess with NEEDLES (that is how you have to get it in the syringe)! That would be a semi-summary of Truffle's week since Tuesday til today Friday.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Poor Truffle. Hugs to both of you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Poor Truffle. Give him a hug for me, if you can. You're wonderful for taking such swift action to make sure he's okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 10:21 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Aww bless him. Hope he can eat his mealies again soon!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
I live in a Pigdom

Thanks everyone, he's on the mend and doing all the things hedgie again. Including not liking me one bit, but I can live with that.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

awww! Poor lil guy! I hope he feels better!

Kristina,
my three sugar gliders:

Meka, Mac, and Sasha
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Formerly Known as oreos_my_hedgie

awww... poor truffles! I'm glad it's all better now. Hugs to you two!!!