Weird question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Question Weird question

Hello, I just signed up for this forum and I hope someone can give me some information. I recently acquired a beautiful little female hedgehog. I did not know she was pregnant and apparently neither did her previous owner (or he failed to tell me she had been with a male). She gave birth a couple weeks later. She was nursing the babies for the first week and I thought all was going well. Then I started noticing when I would go in to put food in her dish at night that the babies were constantly out of the nest. I used a spoon to put them back in the nest but it kept happening. Then each morning I would go in and I would find a dead baby. Not knowing what was going on I decided to take the babies away and try bottle feeding them because it was breaking my heart to watch them die one by one. She started out with 6 babies and I ended up taking 3 away from her. That day another one died so I was left with 2 babies to bottle feed. I've been feeding those 2 babies for 2 weeks now and they are doing well. My question is....has anyone ever heard of a dwarf or a munchkin hedgehog? The little male has continuously gained weight and is up to 49 grams at 3 weeks old. The little female has only gained 2 grams in the last 2 weeks and weighs in at 16 grams. She is as healthy and normal looking as he is but in a MUCH smaller version. She has quills, opened her eyes and is getting a furry belly just like he is but she is so tiny! She eats every time he eats, she pees and poops regularly so I know she's digesting her food but she's not growing. I'm completely baffled. I included a pic to show you the size difference. If anyone can shed some light I would appreciate it. She was born with a club foot but that's the only handicap that I can see. Other than that she seems very healthy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comparing sizes @ 3 weeks.jpg (34.2 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Rodentologist

I would get to a hedgie savvy vet and get her checked out. It's possible that she's not absorbing the formula well (even though she's pooping and peeing). They should be able to examine the poo to see if she's digesting everything well.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Tags
tiny hedgehog