Why is my hedgie cold on the bottom of her? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Question Why is my hedgie cold on the bottom of her?

I noticed that a lot of times when I take Phillis out that the underneath of her is cold. Is anything wrong? What is this really? Should I see a vet? This has happened for some time now, and thought I might want to figure out whats wrong...
Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

What temperature is she kept in? Hedgies need to be kept at a relatively warmer temperature, from what I remember.

http://hedgehogvalley.com/basiccare.html
Quote:
* You will want to keep the housing in a warm area of the house. Hedgehogs are from a warm environment and need to stay warm, but not too hot (about 68F to 85F is usually a good range). Reptile heating pads can work well in the winter, but make sure that the pad is not under the entire cage so that if your hedgehog starts to overheat, it can move to a cooler spot.
What kind of bedding is she on? If she's directly on a cage bottom that may contribute to it. I'm sure someone with more hedgie experience will come along and offer any other info they may have.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

BTW- she gets warmer as i hold her...
She is in about a 70 f room, and always has a big towel she likes to snuggle up in at night...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 09:04 PM

I would worry about her chewing on the towel, we took a fleece baby blanket and cut it into fours and gave the hedgies each a blanket.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

you could try putting a heating pad under her cage set to low also to my knowledge 70* is too cool for a hedgie.

OH and just an FYI... if a hedgie gets too cold it could go into hibernation which you don't want.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 07:38 AM

70 degrees is an ok temperature but you can try a small heater in the room and see if that helps. We use a heating pad under Louie's cage.

Sassy's right, a towel's not good to let the hedgie cuddle with. Fleece or Velux are much better.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Okay. I will cut up a very soft (fleece I believe) scarf to put in her cage...I do have a heating pad. Should I put it under her cage (which has a plastic bottom) or on the bottom of her cage under her towel? I will set it on low. If we have some puppies born in December she will have to do without the heating pad as we put that in with them...I do have a small heater I can put near her cage. What do you thinks better? Should I put the heater on low, medium, or high? Thanks.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 10:58 AM

Put the heating pad down then a towel and then put the cage on top of it, set the heating pad on the lowest setting.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Today when I took Phillis out to hold her she was very warm on the bottom of her...i was very happy!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 02:24 PM

hand warmers

I have read to, and i use disposable hand warmers in a velux baggy that i made. He loves it and he can carry it around to adjust it. It works great
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:55 PM

Great idea!! I keep a couple of those in the house in case of emergencies (for my bird) but I never thought of it for Louie. Thanks!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 02:33 PM

u bet. I bought a box of 80 handwarmers at costco for $18.00

Tags
heating pad