Widget has decided... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Talking Widget has decided...

she likes her now home WAY better then the home in the pet store. At the pet store all they had in there was an igloo for them to hid in. She was up playing ALL NIGHT LONG! I could hear her throwing her tp roll around (it doesn't look like she has played much with her stuffies yet.)
Man does she seem to eat a lot! when I woke up her food bowl was just about empty! She also found th water bottle.
I think she is adjusting quite well... I am still gonna leave her be though till this weekend. Give her plenty of time to be familiar with the surroundings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 07:54 AM

That's one cool lookin' little hedgehog.:cool:
I didn't know that they played.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

sure they do & I have to agree I never thought they did either before I started learning about them! I was told it is a MUST to have an empty toilet paper roll in there for her as this seems to be their favorite toy! Here is a picture I got this morning... (you know how hard it is to resist taking that thing off their head... it isn't stuck it just looks that way)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:15 AM

Great pic Kay!!! They LOVE those tp tubes!!!!

Of all the toys I've bought Louie, he plays with his tube the most. In fact, I've seen him (several times) fall asleep with his head in the tube!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:16 AM

BTW, I'm so glad Widget is settling in nicely! I wanna come see her!!!

You know I'm going to expect daily updates?!?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Daily update?!?! I could do that!! here's my hourly update... she just poked me yeouch! I was filling her food dish & reached of to let her "smell" my hand & of course POOF, & huff huff huff huff, repeadedtly till I moved my hand. She wasn't being very quiet about it either!

Should I keep food down at all times for her? (everytime the dish is empty fill it?) I know obesity can be a problem with hedgies, so I wanna make sure that is ok.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:35 AM

Personally, I keep Louie's food available at all times and I would recommend you do that too since Widget is still a baby. If obesity becomes an issue as Widget gets older, you can deal with it then.

I think their huffing is cute! Think their little tuff guys don't they? Does she kinda bounce sometimes when she huffs?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Oh yea she bounces! & the louder she gets the more noticeable the bounce is! I think the hardest thing to learn is gonna be when she quills up or hiss/huffs at me NOT to flinch or pull away. It is normal reaction to pull away when you get poked by something, and everytime she starts hissing like that I keep thinking she is gonna bite. In time I'll just roll my eyes & say yea yea yea tough girl are we, no come here
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:48 AM

I know what you mean....it does take time to get used to a hissing, bouncing ball of quills!!

The first time Bev met Louie she pulled away the first few times Louie hissed at her but by the end of the night Louie was crawling in her shirt as we sat outside. He was totally content to use her as a jungle gym and he never quilled up on her!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 10:03 AM

I love LOUIE!!! He nugded his little nose up my pants leg and cuddled up and tried to sleep in my shirt lol. And I was a little nervous about his "huffing" but we both got over it. Sigh. . . . now I want a hedgehog. If I got every animal I wanted though I'd have a ZOO!!!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

I told the hubby when we move, we're gonna have to move to a farm!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 01:04 PM

Come move to NC - we can set up a zoo together and make both hubbies do the cleaning!! (sorry Chad)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

oh you guys are making me want a hedgie - and miss NC!!
I lived there for almost 2 years and I loved it sooo much - even 'tho I'm a born and bred NYC/joisey girl - I *still* think of Charlotte as home. Gads, I'd move back there in a heartbeat!
Can I share the farm too? Think about how big it could be!!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 02:16 PM

Widget is adorable!! I love hedgies with tp tubes Glad to hear she's settling in well too!

Tags
food bowl, pet store