Wobbly Hedgehog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Hedgehog Discussion Huffing & puffing, curious noses, balls of quills, and all else hedgie.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Wobbly Hedgehog

Hi everyone-

I know I haven't been around for a while- things have been busy at the shelter.

I am writing for support. Our Hedgie has Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome/Disease. It is similar to MS in people and it is thought to be genetic, but no one really knows.

I have been nursing him for a couple of weeks now, helping him to walk and eat and drink. He can't work his body very well but his mind is all there. It is just heartbreaking. I know I should have him put down, but I just have a hard time setting it up after I look into those little eyes and he just seems to know. As long as I help he does 0k and does still have some mobility. I fixed his habitat so that he has support to move some on his own power. Sometimes he tries too hard and gets over on his side and can't get up by himself and just struggles so. It is just tearing me up.

Anybody else ever go through this????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 12:53 PM

i went thru something like that, but it was my beloved Jazzabell (my dog). i can relate somewhat. i cant image what it would be like if one of my hedgies had wobble hedgehog syndrome but hang in there, you will know when its the right time.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 05:13 PM

whatever you chose to do, will be the best thing you can do for him. As long as you love him and do what you can, and feel is best, than it is the right thing. Just hang in there and Hugs!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:10 PM

Hey Gypsy

Hey, i havent gone thourgh tht with a hedgehog, but i do want to get one. well neyways one day i woke up and my hamster was on his side in his cage he couldnt walk, he was really skinny, but wht i don get is tht he had enough food and water, well every time i would set him on his feet he would just try to walk but then would fall. so my mom just told to me to just leve him alone and let him die on his own well guess what he hung and he was still alive the next day. I didn want him to suffer but i didnt want to just kill him, so evetually he died, but it was the hardest thing just sitting there wathching my hamster die so i know how you feel.

Whit
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Thank You for your Sympathy. We had Spike put down last week.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 04:29 PM

I'm so sorry, but you did what was best for him, and he's in a happier place now!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:09 PM

srry

Sorry about spike, but now you can get a new one and start over and make anougher Hedgehog happy.
Whit
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:02 PM

Im so sorry about spike, but life has to end at some time. Its just how it is. You did the right thing to put him down instead of making him suffer.