Anyone in the UK own a Prairie Dog? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Question Anyone in the UK own a Prairie Dog?

Just curious to know how many people in the UK own Prairie Dogs, because it's only recently found out that they can be kept as pets which they look like fun little guys. Because the only place that i know to have Prairie Dogs is my local Zoo.

Just interesting to know

ae

animalexpert - a life long learner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Qualifications: FdSc AMgt. N.Dip AMgt, and VetMed Cert
Working towards: BSc AMgt, A.Dip AB, Marine Zoology and Herptology
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I dont, but would love too.. I think they are adorable!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I know i'd love a couple, but are they considered pets here in the UK that's something im not sure, but you can keep a tiger in your back garden providing you have a licence from the local authority and that you can prove that you are able to care and provide for the animal so i guess you could get a Prairie Dog?

Be interesting to find out though

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have looked on the internet, and they are sold over here.. In fact I have been told that there is a woman on here who lives in the UK and she has PD's..

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Wow, that's really interesting. I'd love to have a PD but i don't room or my own place yet besides i want alot of animals lol but what i really want is a Llama

I need my own small holding / farm sorta thing .

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalexpert
Wow, that's really interesting. I'd love to have a PD but i don't room or my own place yet besides i want alot of animals lol but what i really want is a Llama

I need my own small holding / farm sorta thing .
I think a few of us on here need/want a small holding... I would love to have some donkeys!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Adolescent Pup

I can't answer your question about prairie dogs in the UK, but I can tell you about keeping them as pets. I live in Texas & have several pet pds. I can't imagine life without them. They are not good pets for everyone. They can bite very hard, & they do sometimes. They can be moody also. But if you want a pet that absolutely worships the ground you walk on, a pd. might be for you. Prairie dogs are very affectionate animals. They get so exited when we come home they yell for several minutes. Each has it's own sound ranging from "eeee" to "uh uh" to "uh....uh". They are hilarious to watch, in the wild or at home. We love them so much that we started relocating wild ones from construction sites & other places where they are unwanted to places where they are.
There is a ban on selling them as pets right now, in the USA. It is illegal to keep them in some states.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

That's sounds so great, i'd love too have some, they sound like fun having them as pets although as with all animals especially some that are considered wild require alot of hard work and patience. It must be nice to have some, do you breed for conservation purposes or do some rehabilitation work? just curious because i'd love that, i have been thinking of become and RSPCA Inspector or a Humane Animal Inspector sorta person, once i finish my course though.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Adolescent Pup

No we don't breed prairie dogs. From what I've heard, you either have breeders or pets, usually not both. Alot of them get very moody during rut. I have considered breeding, but I don't know where I would put all the babies I couldn't bring myself to part with. If I get any more I will have to hang them from the ceiling.
I don't have the brains or money to become a vet, but wish I could get educated on treating just prairie dogs. No vets in our town know much about them. I have to travel about 100 miles to take my babies to a competant vet. It scares me to death to think about having an emergency. We had a really close call recently. Our Teddy Bear hung a toenail & pulled it out. I just knew we were going to lose him. It would not stop bleeding. My shirt was soaked. He was soaked. We finally went to bed, thinking he may not survive, but when we got up the next morning, It was like nothing ever happened. There was not a spec of blood anywhere.
We don't do any rehabilitating, but have adopted a couple of adult pds. One came from a couple who couldn't take care of her anymore, & one came from an abusive home. He is an un-neutered male. Suddenly two of our girls plumped up & I teased them about sneaking into Crickets' cage.

Tags
neutered male, prairie dog, prairie dogs, teddy bear