The Ban on prairie dogs have been lifted! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

The Ban on prairie dogs have been lifted!

This is the greatest news ever!I've been praying for this day to come and now that it's here, I can't stop crying with joy! Now instead of these poor babies being killed, they'll have a chance. I prairie dogs are ing everywhere.

This spring will be wonderful for prairie dog owners! I can't wait to bottle babies again! PRAISE GOD!!!

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Curmudgeon

Here is a link.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Last edited by Mygala; 09-09-2008 at 06:07 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wow, that is awesome news! According to the article they are also lifting the ban on Gambian pouched rats. I would love to have one someday.

Maureen

Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wow, that's great news!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Oily Chickenspew

oh sweet!!!!

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Herp Nerd

I am so glad, I wasn't sure what I was going to do when mine finally passed, because I'd definitely want more of the annoying little buggers.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yay fantastic to hear!! *dances*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Newborn Pup

OMG, this is AMAZING news!!! YAY!

I have just these past couple days been reading more on them and discovered since just like... YESTERDAY that I think they would be perfect for me as a companion. I also want to do studying (ethology) and educational/outreach programs with them, to spread awareness of how intelligent and emotional they are and that they need respect... so I was lamenting over them being illegal. Again, GREAT news! My heart skipped around when I read the thread title! It's about time.

Does the lift also apply to the Gambian pouched rats? I know it came into effect over the same case. They are another I badly want as a buddy, and feel they would do well to educate the public (they detect land mines better than dogs and are more effecient at diagnosing tuberculosis than humans!) [EDIT: I just read it DOES apply to both! What an amazing day, and just the day ofter I've begun new research on both of these amazing critters!]

Last edited by sheduma; 09-09-2008 at 04:12 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Adolescent Pup

This is really awesome, lol I am so going to look into getting a prairie dog now some time in the future the lil guys are just so sweet. Though I am sure it would make my mother rage with jealousy every single time we go out to the St.Louis zoo she is always commenting how she would love to pick one up and take on home with her...she gave me the oddest look when I told her that some people do keep them as actual pets! lol like a UFO had just beamed down and set to that exact spot in that exact time and started speaking french...was kind of what the look seemed like.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 02:20 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

As far as I know Utah Prairie dogs are endangered which means you can't keep them as pets.

*Missy*
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Herp Nerd

The only prairie dog species I've seen available for sale as pets is the black-tailed prairie dog. Other species are not nearly as numerous, nor as easy to acquire. The Mexican prairie dog is also endangered and protected. The white-tailed prairie dog and Gunnison's prairie dog both have strong efforts to have them classified as endangered, but have thus far been denied status.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 06:03 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos View Post
The only prairie dog species I've seen available for sale as pets is the black-tailed prairie dog. Other species are not nearly as numerous, nor as easy to acquire. The Mexican prairie dog is also endangered and protected. The white-tailed prairie dog and Gunnison's prairie dog both have strong efforts to have them classified as endangered, but have thus far been denied status.
I kind of guess my point was that even though the ban is lifted, most of them you can't keep for pets anyways...in some cases that's probably a good thing.

*Missy*
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Awesome news! Thanks for posting the article.

Rhonda

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
I kind of guess my point was that even though the ban is lifted, most of them you can't keep for pets anyways...in some cases that's probably a good thing.
I for one totally agree I mean I love keeping extoic pets, but sometimes some of the stuff I see people bring in and try and make into pets really have no place being put into a domestic situation at all wither its bad for the animal or bad for people in general so I for one can totally see what you are saying...but I still say having a lil black foot in the house would be really cool! lol at some point anyway
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

If you find a breeder, let me know, I'm about 3-4 hours from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala83 View Post
This is really awesome, lol I am so going to look into getting a prairie dog now some time in the future the lil guys are just so sweet. Though I am sure it would make my mother rage with jealousy every single time we go out to the St.Louis zoo she is always commenting how she would love to pick one up and take on home with her...she gave me the oddest look when I told her that some people do keep them as actual pets! lol like a UFO had just beamed down and set to that exact spot in that exact time and started speaking french...was kind of what the look seemed like.

~ MY ZOO ~
2 shelties - Blaze & Pandy

1 orange tabby - Max

2 guinea pigs - Peaches and Calli
1 chipmunk - Theodore (Teddy)

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax