breeding pd's - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

breeding pd's

I have two prairie dogs, a male and a female. Because of this fact and the current ban on prairie dogs I have been secretly wishing that the female would get pregnant somehow. This is probably unrealistic in that the male is quite lazy and I've never seen him make any attempt at mounting the female whatsoever. This is probably also for the best as I have no idea what I would do with a pregnant prairie dog.

Has anybody had any success with breeding prairie dogs? When do they normally breed? Any tips regarding getting the prairie dogs to mate or how to take care of them during pregnancy and after?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Lightbulb

It is very rare to have PD's breeding in captivity, and I mean VERY rare! I only know of 2 people who have successfully accomplished it and I believe they needed to use special lighting, temperature control, caging, ect, to reproduce a "natural setting". PD's can be in rut from Oct/Nov. until early spring, but in fact, a female only is in estrus for 5 hours. Yes, I said that correctly, 5 HOURS!

IF your PD's did mate successfully, they are prone to infantcide...meaning, some will eat their babies. It is also common to have still born pups, or pups that are abandoned by their mother.

There's not alot of info on breeding PD's because it normally doesn't happen in captivity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

I thought it might be difficult. This isn't the first male/female pair I've had and they were all pretty much what I described. They like eachother all right. They just don't seem to LIKE eachother.

Or at least don't seem to mate an awful lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:06 PM

I am having the same problem. I was hoping my male and female would mate this year as they are the right age. Someone told me that perhaps I kept them too warm and the male did not mature.

Next Winter I'll keep their area cooler and see if it works. But I can wait. I hate Winter.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Very interesting, Scarlette!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I've actually kind of given up on the idea of mating them for various reasons. Primarily, I like the fact that I'm saving a prairie dog's life when I get one that has been taken from somebody's land. Also, from literature I've read on the web it sounds like prairie dogs are very hard to breed and tend to be unpredictable when they are breeding. Not to mention tend to be healthier once they've been spayed or neutered. Several times I heard people say that prairie dogs that aren't neutered or spayed can't be pets because they're too unpredictable. So, you have the choice of either having a breeder or a pet. They say breeding is a hobby and not something you undertake just because prairie dogs are difficult to impossible to come by these days. Certainly I'd encourage anyone thinking about breeding to read up on all that is involved. I've never personally done it, but from what I've read it sounds like a huge commitment.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 10:46 AM

I breed prariedogs every year and I dont have anyproblems whit them being unpredictable, only at the time they breed. The rest of the time they are wery freindly.
Regards
Casper
Visit my homepage :
http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/fam-lorentzen
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

pixi -- just out of curiosity, how do you go about getting your dogs to breed? Mine will be two in may and have never exhibited any mating behavior whatsoever that I've noticed. Do they need to be at a certain temperature or does there need to be a certain number of males to females? What kind of cage do you keep your prairie dogs in?
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 06:50 PM

lambelly,
Your prairie dogs are still too young. If the conditions are right maybe next late winter they'll mate. But I think they have to have it farley cold, but be careful, they could go into a deep sleep and die if you don't revive them. This happened to me three times last year. I was so scared when I tried to warm them up. It took forever to revive them. They were so cold.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 12:50 AM

Its right the the must be about 3 years before mating.
Mine first litter I get hven they were in a cage inside. They haved a room for themself And the window was always opend so they get the temp from outside ( I live in Denmark)
In the end of the whinter the got 5 babies, but sadley the mom eat them all .
Then I talked to a German breeder and he told me that he hved the same problem, but then he swisted food to a german food produkt. So i did the same... by now i have got 6 litters from 2 diff. females whitout problems !!!
This year the get a big space outside... im looking forward to it.
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 11:18 PM

To Pixi,
Wow, I'm glad you solved your problems. It must have been heartbreaking when the mother ate her babies. I wish you the best of luck with all your future litters. Denmark must have some kind of magic in their air. Maybe cleaner healthier than we do in the US.

Thank you for emailing me.
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 11:50 PM

Yes it was werry hard for me do see the mothet ate her babies.
Here in Denmark there is not many who has pd. Last count was 233 pd. So the knowledge of them are veery little here.
But i found out the the changing in temp is importent for breeding... but more importent is the food you give them.
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 10:32 AM

Hello again, Casper,

You mention food you give your prairie dogs. I feed mine timothy hay, oat hay, and orchard hay as recomended by a friend of mine who co authored a book about caring for prairie dogs. Do you feed yours something more? If so what is it? I want to do my best for my precious critters. They are my babies and I do love them.

Sincerely,
Judy
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

in the "bringing a prairie dog pup into your home" book they recommend making a burrow out of rocks and logs cemented together for keeping dogs outside. They say the thick walls will help protect them in the winter and the summer from heat and cold. If I do decide to breed the dogs I might try making something like this and lowering the temperature to what the temperature typically is around that time of year where the dogs are naturally from.

Would I just leave the male with the female until the pups were born? Does the female need a lot of privacy when she gets pregnant? What about after the babies are born?
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 03:15 PM

Hi lambelly,

Funny you mention that book. I know one of the authors, Betsey Callis. We do talk from time to time about this. She's having problems with mating hers as well. She has white prairie dogs which aren't too common. The male for some reason has not matured to do his husbandly duties, and that's when we wondered if tempuature had an effect on them. apparently it does, thanks to the information from pixi.

You can reach Betsey at [email protected], she will be delighted to converse with you about prairie dogs. She knows a lot. There are others I know, but I need get get permission from them before I give out their email addresses.

Casper, aka pixi seems to know a lot too, I'm sure you've read pixi above. I got very concerned when he mentioned the mother eatting her young. All I can suggest is learn as much as you can before mating. You have a year so if you keep asking as you have been, you will find out what you need to know. Good luck.

Sincerely, Judy

Last edited by poochie lover; 03-25-2005 at 03:17 PM. Reason: need to fix sentence to sound better.

Tags
exotic animals, oat hay, pet store, pet stores, pet trade, prairie dog, prairie dogs, timothy hay