Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Clipping nails?

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  catmommyforever 
#1 ·
Is it safe to clip a pd's nails yourself? Since they're dark, it's difficult to see the quick and I'm afraid I'll cut too far and get a well-deserved nip ;)

But ... long nails + eager pd = in pain pd lover :giggle:

I'm guessing just get a good pair of clippers, styptic powder, and a sleepy baby; and go slowly starting from the tip in small increments ... is there anywhere I can find a diagram of rodent's nails that will show me approximately how far the quick extends from the tip of the digit?

Thanks guys :D

#2 ·
Not sure if you've already dealt with this matter but do you really need to clip the nails... if yes, you really should only clip the tips in my opinion and using cat or dog clippers - if your pd will sit nice for you on your lap, this would be the easiest way to do it.

If you make you pd's nails bleed, you've obviously gotten carried away... stick to the tips, or better still, ask yourself if they really do need clipping? :D

#3 ·
I don't clip my PD's nails, I don't find it necessary.

I've haerd that a good way to clip pd's nails is to rub something sweet to the tummy when the pd is lieing on your lap. Sweet can be banana or jam for example and when pd is licking sweets you can clip nails using dog or cat clippers..

I haven't tried.. good luck :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.