does anyone - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

does anyone

know if its legal to have PD`s in floridaa?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 02:51 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i dont think it is anywhere, so no one talks about owning one? i thought i remember that post from a month ago or so

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

It is illegal to buy, sell, or transport PD's (other than for medical care) in any state now due to the Monkeypox thing that happened a few years ago. The people who already had PD's prior to the ban may keep them but it is illegal to get any new ones now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

oh, thnk you guys. i was planning on getting them, but if its illegal, i dont thing i will, does anyone on this forum own them -- and if you do, pics? [:
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I have 2 females....Karmen and Kasey. They are almost 6 years old now.

This is Karmen. She's my little love bug.

I don't have a current pic of Kasey. She is a little timid and normally freaks out when the camera is around. She's just a little smaller than Karmen.

Rhonda

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Where did you buy yours?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 06:27 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

I live in Fl and you would be surprised how many PD owners are here. The ban is Federal but Florida does allow you to own them if you should come across one as a "rescue". Surprisingly I have found Fl to be actually a PD friendly state. I have 2 PD's at this time and both were rescues and have had others in the past. Animal Control brought my last little guy to me as they didnt have a clue what to do with him. ARNI's here had 2 also not long ago and a friend of mine "rescued" them and she is also a wild life rehaber. No one has given us any issue having PD's and finding a vet to treat isnt too difficult really. Depending on where you live. I have 2 here readily available anytime needed. I have been stopped by the local Police when I was transporting them and all they did was make a fuss over how cute they are lol. As long as you are not "buying, breeding, selling". You dont need any special permit here either to own nor to transport to the vet if needed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

thnx swc... i really want them but i cant find a place.. any help?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 05:38 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

I listed my name with all the local humane societys and the wildlife rehabbers. Also list yourself with the local exotic vets particularly those that treat pds. It didnt take long before I had 3 due to people who obtain them havent a clue of how much dedication and care they require. Not to mention the expense. Back in 2003 there were so many in our area in the pet stores and they went quickly. Down the road many find they are more than what they were prepared to care for. All 3 of mine were brought to me through someone associated with rescue facilities or vet offices. Another you might consider that is legal is a Richardson Ground Squirrel (also wrongly called a mini-PD). Personality is bit different than a pd and they are smaller but they are very loveable and can be socialized very well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Adolescent Pup

I know this post is kind of old, but I'm kind of new at this forum stuff. I can never pass up the opportunity to talk about prairie dogs. The are just the most adorable animals I've ever known.
My husband & I started relocating wild pds. from places where they were in danger of being eradicated, etc. to places where they are wanted, several years ago. It is the most rewarding thing we have ever done.
We have several for pets, & life would be so dull without them.
I don't know if they are legal in Florida or not, but I would think your city's animal control personel, or parks & wildlife dept. could tell you, or at least steer you in the right direction to find out.
I'm not encouraging you to do anything to break the laws or anything, but if you know anyone who does relocations you may be able to help volunteer, & get permission to rehab one if it is too young to be released.
If you don't know any, you could probably get a list of relocators from the FDA/CDC by mentioning the Freedom of Information Act.
The FDA has been very cooperative in granting every permit I have requested so far. I have asked them if nature organizations, & such could get permission to keep 1 or 2 for educational purposes. They said they would consider it. So if you have any intentions of doing show & tell at schools, or giving talks about them, etc. that may help with your request.
I have read & re-read the 34 page interim final rule from the FDA/CDC & have read nothing stating that a relocator, rehaber, or volunteer cannot keep a baby that has no mother to be released with ,but is too small to be on it's own. If anyone who reads this knows otherwise, please let me know.
If you do decide to get one, please do your homework first. Pds. need lots of attention. Even though they are old enough to be weaned by the time they are alowed above ground, I still recomend bottle feeding for a while, just for the bonding. I love it, & so do they. We have so many, it is hard to find enough time to spend with the ones we have, but we are always willing to adopt any that need a new home. Our two oldest were adopted as adults, & both adapted very well. This can be a problem with some of them though. Pds. generally bond with the people that get them early on, & it can be stressful for them to change homes & owners.
If you do wind up getting one, they need lots of attenion, & a good diet, so please don't hesitate to ask for advice.
Good luck.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

cute love the pics i cant believe that you have those as a pet and i wouldn't mind having one myself

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

Prairie dogs are not legal now, but most states who were legal prior to the ban are still pd friendly. The fact is that pd's are being placed in homes everyday all over the country regardless of the ban. If it wasn't for the few taking risks it's wouldn't be long before pd's are completely eradicated. My state doesn't even know there is a ban or the difference between pd's, and other ground squirrels nor do they care. Since monkey pox is no longer and issue there's no benefit in spending resources states do not have trying to prosecute this as a federal crime. As long as there's a ban on exotic imports monkey pox will not be an issue. I'm not suggesting people be careless, but statistics show banning animals is not effective. People are gonna do what they're gonna do regardless of what the government thinks. The law is stupid and they know it, but saying no is cheaper and easier then making the necessary changes. I'm just saying things are not as hopeless as they might appear.

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

Tags
animal control, exotic vet, humane society, local humane society, pet store, pet stores, prairie dog, prairie dogs