Everybody poops - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Everybody poops

I'm strongly considering getting a prairie dog, I've done a fair amount of research and have gotten the opportunity to play with a baby pd recently. My biggest concern is the odor factor. My roommate has 3 ferrets, and although they are great critters I can't stand the smell. Should I expect pd to emit a similar odor? How big is their feces?

He would be kept in an apartment setting, will I be able to train him not to mess with the carpet? Thanks in advance for any information anyone is able to give me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Newborn Pup

Pdog poop is like little pellets (maybe similar to rabbit poop?). So it is easy to pick up with a napkin or even vacuum if you wanted to I suppose. So it isn't nasty like ferret poop (ferrets are so cute but their poop is gross!).

If you clean their cage enough you really shouldn't have too much of an issue with smell. I am cleaning my cage about every 2 days and then washing it like 1x a week (we will see how this works - so far so good).

My pdogs in the past would occasionally get a bath if they got stinky. Which they did not care for but they got over it. But it was very rare.

I don't recall any of my pdogs peeing on the carpet but it could happen. I guess if you left the cage door open while they were out playing they might go back in to pee. Of course this depends on them. But poop wise not a big deal if they go on the carpet. I never potty trained any of mine but maybe they could be potty trained to go in a box or a terra cotta planter. Can't help you with that cause I have no clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cron View Post
I'm strongly considering getting a prairie dog, I've done a fair amount of research and have gotten the opportunity to play with a baby pd recently. My biggest concern is the odor factor. My roommate has 3 ferrets, and although they are great critters I can't stand the smell. Should I expect pd to emit a similar odor? How big is their feces?

He would be kept in an apartment setting, will I be able to train him not to mess with the carpet? Thanks in advance for any information anyone is able to give me!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the quick reply pdogmum! I guess my only other concern would be age, I think the pdogs that I would be purchasing would be around 13-14 weeks. Is that to old to socialize? What should I look for in a baby pdog to ensure I get a sweet one? Again, thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Newborn Pup

For me it seems like if you get one they will be more friendly because they bond with you. If you add another one then it bonds with the other pdog. I had an older male and he bonded with me, I bought him a baby and she bonded with him & didn't bond so well with me. Later I bought 2 adults who were already bonded with one another and never really bonded too well with me. But the first adult male I bought was the best one out of the bunch because he bonded with me (maybe because he had no choice? lol).

Now I have a new baby and since she is the only one I am hoping she will bond with me. Fingers crossed!

Age wise I am not sure. Like I said the adult male I had bought bonded so well with me he was the best pet I ever had. I think it depends on the pdog itself and how much time you spend with it and whether or not you have other pdogs.

How to make sure you get a sweet one? I guess if possible keep going back to the pet store (or where ever you are buying them) and try to spend time with them and see if any seem to be more friendly then others.

Hopefully, others will chime in on this since I am sure they will have some great advice. I am a once again new pdog owner so I have forgotten a lot (it's been over 12 years since I have had them).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Newborn Pup

I got my prairie dog at 5 months and he is bonding very well. I would look for one that doesn't look afraid and looks healthy, but it seems like they are so social that as long as you treat it right it will bond with you. Oh, and I really haven't noticed any odor to him or his waste.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:21 AM
Playful Pup

My little girl is 3 months, and I'm hoping she'll be easy to bond with, considering she is the only one.

Tags
odor, prairie dog, smell