Fur loss? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
SwC

Fur loss?

I know this has been asked before and was unable to locate the previous thread which had no responses anyway. My male (not neutered), age unknown as he was a rescue running around in a local neighborhood scratched off a large patch of just the outer light brown fur when he was first brought to me. He still had the dark fuzzy left underneath on his side near his rear leg. He was cleared by my vet and there was no redness, rash or signs of mites and was assumed maybe nervousness due to him being bounced around from outside to the humane society, then the animal control officers home (they were going to put him to sleep and he couldnt stand the thought so adopted him till he could find an appropriate home) before coming to mine. He no longer seems to scratch or bite at the area but it now covers more than half of his right side? He isnt bald and continues to have the underneath black fuzz just not the outer longer brown fur. Vet still cant find any problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Rest of him is fine and he's just as lovable as always, adjusted wonderfully to being here and is King of the House! My female shows no signs of any of this either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31891 There's another thread about fur loss, but I think your pd's situation is different than just the usual shedding.

I think that maybe the original scratching at it may have damaged some of the hair follicles and the longer, brown fur may never grow back. As long as he isn't scratching at it still, the skin underneath of it looks fine, and the vet said not to worry, then I think I wouldn't be too concerned about it right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've gone through exactly the same situation you describe with my Newbie boy about 7yrs ago. He started loosing so much fur he looked horrible so off to the vet we went. My vet could find nothing wrong either. The skin was fine, scrapping were neg for mites. The fur was not completely gone as if there were only skin, but it was noticeable. There was a light soft peach fuzz, but even my vet could not explain it. After worrying myself sick I did some calling around to more experienced owners. Lynda had said it was nothing to worry about he was just going through a molt. Now all these yrs later all of my bb's go through one at least twice a yr and when they do they all look as if they're abused.LOL They enjoy it when I bring out the comb which helps them molt a bit faster. When this starts my house and their cage is coved in fur and looks like a pd exploded, I even have clumps that roll about like tumbleweeds. LOL I don't think it's anything to worry about, but don't feel like the lone ranger! I made several vet trips, stayed up many nights when we went through our first molt. The next time there's a hair explosion in my cage I'll try and take pics. Hugs 'N' Blessings!!!

Jenniffer Scardina
Prairie Dog Care & Advice
Cell # (615)971-2715

Last edited by pdjenn; 02-02-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
SwC

Lol, thank you for the replies. Just seemed he was getting abit naked but just on one side and no other place on his body which concerned me. My other pds (females) havent experienced it this drastically. Of course they had the regular shedding which I expected. Takes lot of my mind though and will save me running to the vet again in a panic I'm really attached to this little guy as he's become my regular little shadow around the house and the most lovable of any we have been blessed to have. On my heels every where and a bit spoiled since he arrived.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:59 AM

My little Norman sheds like that. He scratches everywhere he can reach, & looks horrible. Our first pd.,Beefcake shed like that. We believed it was caused by stress. We were having a new roof put on the house & the noise was driving him crazy. It took two days for the roofers to finish, & by the second or third day, he had more bald spots than he had fur. It was weird because it grew back almost as quickly as it fell out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
SwC

Well in fact he lost some more but just around his leg and part of his belly. It still has that soft downy black fur but otherwise I have a half naked PD!! Hasnt grown back yet. He acts fine and doesnt seem to scratch at it so I havent a clue at this point. Just he looks so funny as it's all concentrated to one area which is about 1/3 of his little body. My other pd's are completely fine with no fur loss.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:29 PM

It happens with my pd Dale all the time. It usually happens at the change of seasons. Whether that has anything to do with it , I don't know but he looks ragged for awhile then it all comes back.

Tags
animal control, animal control officer, humane society