getting a pd, all advice welcome - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

getting a pd, all advice welcome

Hi All:

I will be getting a pd soon. A little background. I saw an ad on CL (I know, I know). I have other exotics and my first thought was 'oh no, some idiot that is thinking 'cool new pet' will get him', so I emailed. After talking to the person, he wants me to have him. (I told him I had to check to make sure my vet had experience first with them, she does). I am not even sure this is the pet for me, but wanted to get him, have him vet checked, get him neutered and go from there. I have been researching them as much as I can find online. He is under a year (the person that owned him got him as a baby last June down in FL, moved up to MA for school, keeping the pd hidden in her dorm. Well, she got caught and was going to release him, but a family friend took him in.) The guy that has him doesn't have the time to give him and knows that, so wanted to find him a good home. His cage is small, so that was concerning, but that can be fixed easily. He said he has never bit, (well, nibbled when he didn't want to be picked up, but never broke skin). I know he can't be neutered yet, as he will be in rut. But I want to make sure I can do right by this guy. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Playful Pup

Now I remember what I hated about this site- if you type too long of a message, this site times out and logs you off automatically. I had this long message for you, and just lost all of it. Anyhoos, I guess maybe I should just ask the basic questions before I go answering your post, since it was posted way back in January. Did you end up getting the pd afterall? How have things been going if you did? Did you get the information you needed?
Tara
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Been a long time, so thought I would update. Yes, Zeke went to his new, forever home after three weeks here (and it would have been SO EASY for me to keep him.....I fell completely in love...lol) But I knew I could not hold him back from all he had waiting for him. He and his new gf, Ella, fell in love at first site! He is doing great (although is in rut right now, from what I am told). He is a complete love, they take him on educational talks at schools and he LOVES being held by everyone!!! (Ella is much more shy w/strangers.) He is happy, they are thrilled, it all worked out very well. I do miss him and will never forget him.

On another note, I will be getting a little Richardson's Ground Squirrel, which are similar to pd's in some ways. He is coming up from FL, a friend needs to rehome him. He is in hibernation right now, so traveling should be fine, he'll pretty much sleep through it....lol I'm so excited!!!!! His name is Neeko. (I don't see a section for RGS here, so figured I would post it here....

Tags
getting pd